Limping pullet.

Neolones

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
I have an 18 Cream Legbar pullet, that has been limping for a week now. She does not put any weight in her left leg. I have checked for bumble foot, but her feet look normal. I cannot see any type of trauma, damage. I have inspected her twice this week, can't see what is causing her to limp and not put weight on it. This week she is mostly just laying down, still eating, drinking, pooping just fine, but her activity has decreased considerably.

Any idea what could it be, what can I do?

If a vet isn't an option, you can isolate her to limit her mobility and give her time to heal. I had a rooster with a mystery limp. He was a pretty big jerk, but I did inspect him at night several times and never saw obvious signs of injury. In his case I just let him keep doing what he does, and after a month or so the limp gradually decreased. So the third option is doing nothing and wait.

How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Does she use her wings to balance? Injuries from jumping down or from rooster mating can be common causes of injuries. Do you have any pictures of her lying down? Videos of her walking are also good. I would offer some human vitamin B complex, and crush 1/4 to 1/2 tablet into food or a little water daily. Make sure that she can reach food and water. If you have to separate her, keep her in a dog crate near the other chickens, so she remains part of the flock. Here is some reading about Mareks, but hopefully it is just an injury which rest may help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Does she use her wings to balance? Injuries from jumping down or from rooster mating can be common causes of injuries. Do you have any pictures of her lying down? Videos of her walking are also good. I would offer some human vitamin B complex, and crush 1/4 to 1/2 tablet into food or a little water daily. Make sure that she cannreach food and water. Here is some reading about Mareks, but hopefully it is just an injury which rest may help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

What does it mean if she does use her wings to balance?

Back
Top Bottom