Limping Pullet

Ugh, when it rains, it pours, especially when you're about to go out of town šŸ™ƒ

With the egg situation, it's strange the shell would be all gone and that there are other unbothered eggs around. You may want to check vents in case somebody is having a laying problem--have you seen Jenny lay an egg? If she's having laying issues, it could maybe affect her ability to walk and make her look unkempt.

It's also possible she simply needs a good molt, and that the wet patch came from an egg they cleaned up or a weird poop. Chickens will eat broken eggs if they find them, but fortunately that doesn't make them bona fide egg eaters. Just egg-cleaner-uppers.

Funny, I found your thread because I'm headed out of town soon, and our Brahma, Peep, recently popped up with a limp. I'm pretty sure hers is a foot feather but always like to browse BYC for due diligence. Coincidentally, Peep's the only older hen who didn't molt last fall, and she looks such a mess. However, she's sociable and eating and laying, so we haven't had to do anything special except keep an eye on her.

I need to be extra secretive packing the car so they don't see me and try to figure out what other trouble they can get into šŸ˜‚
šŸ˜‚. We did a bit of a re-jig in their run this morning, and while we were there Jenny went into the the nesting box. She was still in there when I was done around 10a.m. I just (12p.m.) collected 4 eggs from that box, no wetness, so I'm assuming one of them was hers. I'll try and track her egg laying over the next couple of days to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom