Limping pullet

idiganthro

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Mechanicsville, MD
Okay, so my "Jane", a very large, healthy Black Austrolorp pullet, is limping. She is not limping too badly, but holds her foot up when she is standing. Otherwise she seems fine. I checked her foot for injuries or sores, but didn't see anything. Could she have strained her foot somehow? How concerned should I be?

Last edited:
all of my birds will hold one or the other of their feet up alot when they are just standing. no idea why. does she walk ok when she IS moving around?

hmmm...maybe she pulled something...keep a very close eye on her, and make sure she's eating and drinking normally, and if anything progresses, definitely search on here for limping or paralysis problems...sorry I don't have any more ideas for you!! Good luck!!

My best layer a Golden sex-link started limping last Wednesday. We did the same, looked for a sliver or cut in her little foot, but nothing. She also held it up while standing still. She acted normal other than the limp. By the week-end it was much better, so I assumed a strain?? I am not noticing a limp when she is walking a normal pace, but this morning as she came down from the coop from laying her egg I was throwing some scratch out and she came running really fast to get her share and I noticed her favoring the same foot as she ran. I am now wondering if she is catching it on the ladder to the coop as she is coming down or something. I am going to look closer at her nails to see if I can find a clue like maybe a cracked or chipped nail? I hope you find out why yours is limping too.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom