Limping roo

alove

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Yesterday I noticed my rooster limping. The foot shown is the one he is favoring. It doesn't seem to look like bumblefoot, does it? Any advice? Maybe he stepped on a thorny blackberry bush?
20230708_212943.jpg

If you've checked him thoroughly and cannot find any wounds anywhere, no scabbing on the bottom of the foot, nothing looks abnormal, then it may just be a sprain or strain. They can happen from jumping down and landing wonky from roosts etc. Roo's and cockerels can do it doing their normal rooster activities, particularly if the lady says no. If he's getting around OK, I would just keep an eye on him. Watch for swelling, bruising, which may look greenish. It may resolve on it's own, it can be days or weeks, depending on exactly what happened. If it's really bad and he's at risk of being hurt by the flock then I would put him in a wire crate in the run with the rest of the birds, with his own food and water. That way he can still see them and they can see him which is less stressful, but he's safe from them and can rest the leg/foot. If needed, you can do daily soaks in warm epsom salts, that will help with pain and swelling.

Back
Top Bottom