Limping Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sonofagoodman, Sep 16, 2016.

1. sonofagoodman

sonofagoodman Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    Mesa, Arizona
    I have a rooster that seems to have suddenly become very protective of the hens in my small flock of 6. One of the hens has just begun to lay eggs (the first of our flock). I was in the yard with my sons and the rooster waited until my 5 year-old son was alone and then attacked him! This was odd, because the kids go out in the yard daily and there has never been an incident such as this. My son was scared and began to scream as I ran over to him. The rooster has always been skittish around me or the kids, but even as I ran up to he and my son he stayed there attacking. Out of fear for my son and anger towards the rooster I gave the rooster a kick to get him away. The rooster ran away and appeared to be fine however, this morning he is limping and he isn't crowing (he generally crows all hours of the day). I'm afraid that I have inflicted injury to my rooster (for which I feel horrible), and am also afraid that he poses a danger to my children because of this act of aggression. Is he acting this way because my hen is laying eggs? At the moment of the incident, I was at the coop inspecting the nest and eggs with my other son. I don't believe my son provoked him at all, as my son has not done so in the past (and he claims that he hadn't been near the rooster or other chickens at all). I don't condone my action of kicking the rooster away from my son, but I suppose my reaction was much the same as that of the rooster protecting his offspring (if that was indeed the reason for the rooster to attack my son).

I've got a few questions:
    1. Do I take my limping rooster to a vet, or do I wait to see if the limping/injury resolves itself?
    2. Is this attack likely indicative of a new behavior that he has developed (will he continue this behavior as the hens are brooding)?
    3. If I were to find a new home (or recipe) for my rooster, will my hen continue to be broody? Our intentions for the flock is to produce eggs for consumption, but we are hoping to experience hatching some chicks, too).

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry this happened.
    I'm sure you will get some input from others, but this is my opinion.

First of all, totally normal reaction on your part, don't feel bad.

Secondly the rooster is aggressive and needs to go. You have a small child that was attacked. I hope your son is o.k. Children can sometimes be seriously injured, especially in the face by a rooster. He should not act this way toward you or your children, ever.

Either try to re-home him - with full disclosure of the attack or find a good recipe.

Hens will go broody just fine without a rooster, so if you have a girl that goes broody, then you can place some hatching (fertilized eggs) under her to hatch or buy some day old chicks for her to hopefully accept as her own.

As for the rooster, it could be a sprain. Separate him if you have a wire kennel or crate, this will limit his activity-so if it is a sprain he can heal, offer some poultry vitamins in his water and some extra protein to his diet like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    Self defense is fair play! Hopefully your rooster learned a lesson. If you can pick up the rooster and just check to make sure the legs are not broken, then I would wait for the vet visit. I had a Leghorn that hurt herself I think jumping off the roost pole. She limped around for about two months then was fine.

4. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I used to have an aggressive Rhode Island Red Rooster. When I walked amongst the herd I just carried my broom and had to swat him a couple of times when he started to come near me in an aggressive way. He learned to keep his distance, but of course I didn't have small children to worry about. If you really want a rooster you might see if he acts different now that you showed him whose the boss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by