Limping tom turkey

doubleforte

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
Galena, MD
I have a tom who is limping badly. He is about 1 1/2 years old and lives with my other turkeys, chickens, guineas and geese. I saw him limping a few weeks ago but couldn't see any swelling, wounds or anything on the affected leg/foot. After a few days he seemed better, so I assumed he hurt himself jumping down from his roost and healed on his own. (Around the same time I had another younger turkey that was limping much worse; I kept her in a crate at night and gave her aspirin for the pain and she healed completely.)

Now the big guy is limping again, and it hasn't gotten better over the last few days. As of last night, I have started crating him at night to prevent him from getting up on his roost and then aggravating whatever injury he might have when he jumps down. I do not see any wounds or swelling in the affected leg. He likes to sleep on a roost about 2 1/2 or 3 feet off the ground, and my guess is that he's hurt himself jumping down from the roost, although of course I can't say for sure whether that's the case.

Aside from crating him at night, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of giving him aspirin at night to help with the pain. I really don't want to process him if I don't have to, as my husband is very fond of him. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks. :)

You could try wrapping her leg up in a Bandage or something like that to comfort her leg?

My chicken had the same issue however she healed after a few days.

hope that helps :)

I have fixed two broken turkey feet and legs in the past year, and I usually use a splint and a bandage, and wrap it in ducktape. They limp and just lie down for a few weeks, then I take it off after about 3-4 weeks, and they are fine. Hope this helps!
jumpy.gif

Thanks Jediwalker. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future! I've been meaning to update this thread...we actually ended up taking the turkey to a local vet for an x-ray. It wasn't broken but the vet believed that he had bone cancer in the affected leg. He died a few days ago. Poor guy, we will miss him. :(

Back
Top Bottom