limping young rooster!

newCHICKNmama

Hatching
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Help! My 11 week old black Australorp rooster started limping some 2 days ago. He's always been a little awkward looking and acting, but now he's limping. Today his limp is more pronounced and he's laying down a lot while his ladies graze around him. Everything else seems ok, but I've noticed the color of his eyes around his pupil looks a bit different, not really cloudy but off compared to his black Australorp ladies. He is eating well and keeping up with his ladies, but he just lies down in the grass when he catches up to them (they've been free ranging it this week). I took a look at his feet to see if there were any visible scratches or thorns but did not see any. One thing I did notice, however, was that the ball or pad of his right foot is slightly bigger and squishier than his left foot. His right side seems to be the cause of his limp. I have no idea what is wrong. They went into the woods yesterday where there's lots of brush and fallen trees. When I picked him up, he didn't try to fight or get away for a few and didn't seem to be in any pain while I was holding him.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? What does a broken or injured leg look like? Is his problem b/c of the bigger pad on his foot? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since this is my first flock and that little rooster has won the hearts of myself and my two young children. Thank you.

Quote:
Ever heard of bumble foot. with the swelling in your roos foot sounds like he might have a case starting. so heres a link that will give you some ideas on what to do and hopefully get it under control before it gets bad. All the best and
welcome-byc.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829&http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htmp=1
then
again you say about his pupils being different, you might also want to read this... http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

Last edited:
I haven't heard of bumblefoot before. Thank you so much for the links for more information! I'm going to get my little kids distracted enough on something other than me being on the computer and read up on it. (It seems as though anytime I do ANYTHING, they are there to chat it up with me or need me for something or are fighting over something!)

I do, however, have a little bit of good news (hopefully). I had noticed that my roo and some of his ladies had been roosting up on top of the feed tote, which was on top of where the nest boxes are going to be (hubby hasn't built the nest boxes yet so it's just a shelf). With that tote of feed up on that shelf, they were up a good 4 1/2 feet up and then jumping down in the mornings. I pulled the tote down on the ground and put it in the corner. They are still roosting up on that shelf, but they don't have to jump down as far. Since doing that, my roos limp isn't as pronounced. He's still taking it easy, laying down in the grass watching over his ladies when he gets tired, and the ball of his foot doesn't seem to be quite as puffy as it was a few days ago. I'm crossing my fingers and keeping my eye on him.

I'll read up on bumblefoot and I already read up on Mereks (God I hope it is not that and that my chickens never get that sick). I'll keep everyone updated as to LW's progress. Thanks so much for the help!

Oh yeah, and his pupils are looking better too.

Back
Top Bottom