Linebreeding methods

To breed out unwanted traits and improve your strain of chicken, you need to have a working breeding plan that includes the following steps:

1) Establish a long-term goal. Find out exactly what you are trying to attain.
2) Begin with the best birds that you can get. It's easier to start with quality chickens than to work hard to breed unwanted traits out of an unsatisfactory batch of birds.
3) Keep accurate, detailed breeding records. This is a must! Mark chicks (common ways to do this is through wing clipping or leg bands) to track their lineage, and be sure to carefully control matings to faster achieve your goals.
4) Cull cull cull, and again cull. Remove birds with negative characteristics as soon as you see them! Don't keep chickens with unwanted traits. This will waste precious time and resources, especially if you're doing this as a commercial project.

This is the method I use. Granted there my be unwanted traits pop up. Example I'm breeding 5 generation Aussies, so I'm looking at some of the chicks today and I notice a couple have barring on the breast/

Can't say were that came from, considering I have the breeding chart on this babies.
big_smile.png
So I'll let them go for a while, I'll use them for eggs nt babies. They are very nice looking though.

Something to consider on my barring

The Australorp is a breed of chicken developed in Australia. It is frequently described in comparison to the Orpingtons, because the Australorp is based on Black Orpington breed stock, which was imported into Australia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The Black Orpington was crossed with Rhode Island Reds and a few other breeds (including the Leghorn, Langshan, and Minorca) to create a “utility bird.”

Back
Top Bottom