Lining the inside of the chicken house with...???

hylandfarm

Hatching
Sep 6, 2019
Hey All! This will be my first post. :)

We have decided to build a bigger chicken coop, as the old coop we have is not the right size and it was only supposed to be temporary, I will keep it and use it for hatching eggs in the future.

We have had troubles with mites this summer as well(UGH), so we are learning that having lots of cracks for the mites to crawl in and hide and lay more eggs in a chicken coop IS NOT really good...I have had to move the chickens out, and I am finding mites behind the plywood wall. Akk! So that has turned into a huge project.

So, the less cracks and seams, the better....

What do you suggest lining on the inside of the new chicken coop? We are thinking Linoleum?!! Thoughts on this? and any other idea's! Thank you so much.

Hey All! This will be my first post. :)

We have decided to build a bigger chicken coop, as the old coop we have is not the right size and it was only supposed to be temporary, I will keep it and use it for hatching eggs in the future.

We have had troubles with mites this summer as well(UGH), so we are learning that having lots of cracks for the mites to crawl in and hide and lay more eggs in a chicken coop IS NOT really good...I have had to move the chickens out, and I am finding mites behind the plywood wall. Akk! So that has turned into a huge project.

So, the less cracks and seams, the better....

What do you suggest lining on the inside of the new chicken coop? We are thinking Linoleum?!! Thoughts on this? and any other idea's! Thank you so much.
Welcome to BYC! :frow
Are you saying you have studded walls with sheathing on the outside and plywood on the inside? I would imagine that would be near impossible to treat the inside of the wall.
I just have walls that are painted with a coat of primer and a coat of white exterior grade paint. I've never had mites.

Flooring such as linoleum, paint, or Black Jack 57 are all options. I use Black Jack which is great for sealing up crevices but haven't had a mite problem so can't say I've actually tested it against mites.

I have had to move the chickens out, and I am finding mites behind the plywood wall.
Have you treated the birds for mites?

You've gotten 2 excellent suggestions above.

So...Welcome to BYC @hylandfarm
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-7_8-19-0.png

I found foam board with white plastic sheeting laminated to it. Completely lined all walls and ceiling and taped seams with white duct tape. Insulated and never had mite problems. Also easy to clean.
Lucky that you don't have mites, and hopefully you never will...
...but your lining has nothing to do with not having mites.

Whatever you do, remember that chickens will eat any type of insulation that's not covered with something solid, and rodents will colonize any cavities in the walls. The rodents will chew through wall board to get there too.
If you are going to paint, stain, or whitewash the walls and ceiling, do it before the birds are in there!
Mary

I have not had mites but it may be because I use the white mite powder I sprinkle it everywhere in there coop bedding and walls floor and all around the area so far so good it's espeacialy for chickens and Ducks. It's easy to buy on Amazon or Ebay.

Back
Top Bottom