Link to telling sex of Rhode Island Red Rooster and Hens

i have 6 RIR chicks right now, got them last week from TSC. 3 have longer wing feathers than the others, 4 have the faint stripe on the head al three with shorter feathers have the stripe, one with long feathers has stripe. this is crazy. i only want one rooster. i am getting six more, i want at least 10 hens when done.

I have 2 RIR, supposedly, that look quite different, one has dark wings feathers, and is darker, the other is much lighter....both are supposed to be hens.

YAY! I was thinking I'd have to wait weeks to know what we had, but we have a couple with lines and a couple without. I do have to admit though, when we first got them I thought a couple of them had poo on them and tried to wash one of their marks off....quickly gave up, glad I did!
big_smile.png

I am new at this. I was told my chicks were hens, but my RIR is making me worried. I am not positive of the breed of the one in front either.
I cannot have Roosters were I live and she/he (the RIR) is so friendly I'd hate to have to get rid of it.
They are 5 weeks, can anyone help me out?

vgjvhu.jpg

I'm new to chickens but I got 12 RIR's and only a few had black stripes and I only got 4 roosters out of 12...but I would love to hear how this turns out
caf.gif

JJchiknshak thanks for the RIR photos! I'm having trouble identifying one. I got it at a chicken swap,, I told the swapper I needed a hen and she took my rooster and just handed me my bird. Not knowing what to look for i too it now i'm afraid they gave me a boy. oh boy. trouble in the city.

That one fact sheet is odd both my 6 week old "hens" are more feathered on the head that either of the 7 week old examples. My chick with the stripe is MUCH darker than my chick without a stripe which seems to fly in the face of them saying hens are lighter.

Back
Top Bottom