Links to disease symptoms and information

I have a 1 yr old RIR that is laying thin shelled eggs, has pasty butt and is losing the feathers around her ears. Can someone help me with what might be going on with her?View attachment 1820336 View attachment 1820336
Have you checked her for lice and mites?
It would be a good idea to get a fecal float to rule out worms.

Wash up your hen's bottom, look to see if there is a discharge.

EMERGENCY! I have a Bard-rock who is down. She has pale combs and has had diarreah. She's very lethargic. Anything I can do to save her? She is 3. Has not been laying.

This is a 13 year old thread. You would get more looks and advice if you started a new thread. I think there could be a possibility that your hen has either a reproductive problem or a crop disorder. To rule out a crop problem, let us know how her crop feels—empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. In the early morning, before she eats or drinks, it should be empty. Here is where to click to start a new thread of your own—click on the green box:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

The post you quoted was made in 2007, so I'm not surprised links don't work any more. If you want some help finding something, we may be able to help.

I had a 2-week old chick die very quickly (4 hrs) whose only symptoms were sneezing and a yawing like motion for a week before. The day it died it quickly became lethargic, got milky diarrhea 2x, sat on haunches, and died. I now only have two chicks left that are separated. The rest of the original clutch (7) I incubated were fully formed dead in shell. Eggs were not sourced from certified breeders. I suspect bacteria, fungus, or a secondary infection.

They are both sneezing and yawning. I moved them to a better ventilated area. They are show quality duccle bantams and I want to save them.

I had a 2-week old chick die very quickly (4 hrs) whose only symptoms were sneezing and a yawing like motion for a week before. The day it died it quickly became lethargic, got milky diarrhea 2x, sat on haunches, and died. I now only have two chicks left that are separated. The rest of the original clutch (7) I incubated were fully formed dead in shell. Eggs were not sourced from certified breeders. I suspect bacteria, fungus, or a secondary infection.

They are both sneezing and yawning. I moved them to a better ventilated area. They are show quality duccle bantams and I want to save them.
Looks like you started a thread about your problem - here's the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sneezing-chick-dead-in-4-hours.1370437/

Yes I did. I'm trying to weigh my options.

Should I keep them both separate until they are older (4wks) and hope their immune systems are strong? How long does it take for chicks to fight respiratory illness off by themselves? Should I invest in medicine now? The onset was so fast I wouldn't have time for anything to arrive if I waited.

I also hear some choice antibiotics are banned for poultry now.

Yes I did. I'm trying to weigh my options.

Should I keep them both separate until they are older (4wks) and hope their immune systems are strong? How long does it take for chicks to fight respiratory illness off by themselves? Should I invest in medicine now? The onset was so fast I wouldn't have time for anything to arrive if I waited.

I also hear some choice antibiotics are banned for poultry now.
I don't know - I haven't read any of your thread at all, you were getting help there so I figured you were all set. I'll have to do some reading to see what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom