Lino in Brooder

I have a lino floor in my brooder. I put about a 3 inch thick pine shaving layer down each time I clean and it keeps them from sliding. About the time I have to replace the shavings is about the time they just start to slide around. I replace the shavings and they're good to go for a few more days.

The chicks are just over 3 weeks old now. Maybe in another week or so I may have to look into adding some sand to the mix.

-darrell
What about a layer of cardboard? You'd still have the waterproofing underneath, and they'd be less likely to shred the cardboard than they would if you use newspaper under the shavings. Your comments are making me re-think my plan. I have laminate flooring that I need to install this week, may need the cardboard over it.

rookiechk, sounds like a good idea, I think I will try sand paper to rough it up. Hopefully tomorrow it will be sunny so I can throw every body out while I am in there

Aside from being slippery, flooring will get nasty pretty quick unless you lay down something absorbent. I use bath towels that I buy in goodwill for the first week then paper pellets becasue they don't get as stinky as pine shavings. You can wash them with bleach or toss them.

My husband just built me a bigger brooder for our girls and put lino on the bottom for easy cleaning. They have been moved and seem to be loving the extra room however seem to be sliding all over the place. I have read where people put lino in the coop so we didn't think much about how slippery it would be. I don't want to see them hurt, Is this something that I need to be concerned about or will they get used to it?
Hi,
That was real sweet of him to put in the lino flooring for you. Great idea. There just needs to be an extra step to solve your problem. You can do a couple of things. Get hubby to obtain some of that waffle weave anti-skid drawer liner like he uses in his tool drawers to keep his tools from sliding around. You can get a lighter weight grade than he uses at the dollar store and often cheap at flea markets. Lay a layer down on the lino. Then 3 layers of absorbent paper towel. The another layer of drawer liner.( or just skip the bottom layer of drawer liner and go with 3 layers of paper towel and the liner on top.
Idea two: Get hubby to make you a hardware cloth platform. It should be elevated enough so the wire is one inch above the height of the shavings you will put in the brooder.
Put in a couple of cross members underneath if the span is wide or long to assure the wire doesn't sag. Put a couple of inches of hardwood pine shavings in the brooder floor. The shavings should smell like fresh sawdust (hardwood), not turpentine (softwood). Set the hardware-cloth platform over the shavings so there is one inch of space between the top of the shavings and the hardware cloth. This is called "raising your chicks on wire". I have done it for years and the chicks don't mind at all. The platform should be 1/4 inch hardware cloth for the 1st 2 weeks. Then swap it out for a 1/2 hardware cloth platform for the rest of the time in the brooder.
Why the wire? Because it helps the chicks get a grip on the ground so their toes and legs grow straight. If you raise you chicks on a slippery surface, they can get "spraddle legs" this is when one or both legs lean out to one side. It requires braces made of band-aids or pipe cleaners to correct it.
I am using the paper towel and waffle weave drawer liner this year. I love it. When I want to clean the brooder, i just roll it up and throw it out. Easy, peasey. The moisture soaks down below the drawer liner into the paper towl. One thing I have noticed. The brooder doesn't stink as much. Paper towel and drawer liner don't give off the ammonia like the shavings do. A pleasant surprise.
Best,
Karen

Thank you all for the great advice! I havent had a chance to sandpaper the lino down yet, but think I like the shelf liner idea so will go get some tomorrow! I was thinking cardboard as well as there is an abundance of it around the house but though they might peck and rip it apart. They did a number on the original box they were in.

Karen, I like the wire idea but I think hubby is done making changes to their temporary home and would prefer to concentrate on their permanent home. can I use the same idea inside the coop?

aggiemae, when you refer to paper pellets are you refering to the bedding that is sold for hamsters? If so is it okay for them to chew? I know the hamster carries it all over his cage but doesnt actually eat it.

On a side note, I was told today that chickens have no personality! I though it a strange comment as mine are full of it!

What about a layer of cardboard? You'd still have the waterproofing underneath, and they'd be less likely to shred the cardboard than they would if you use newspaper under the shavings. Your comments are making me re-think my plan. I have laminate flooring that I need to install this week, may need the cardboard over it.
I am really not liking the lino. We were going to put it in our coop as well but after seeing how slick it is we are going to have to think of something else. Our chicks were originally in a cardboard box until they out grew it and pecked a hole right threw it.
Christina

Its been a crazy week and haven't had time to modify the brooder much so i settled on putting cardboard over the lino and topping it with the shavings. They seem much happier now. Thanks again for all the great input!

Back
Top Bottom