Linoleum on coop walls anyone... ?

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
I am thinking to line not only the floor of my coop with linoleum, but also the walls.

I'm thinking this will make it easy to scrape all around, and I can hose the whole thing out periodically.

I drew pictures of my coop today! The entire roof lifts up so I can reach in to get the eggs and clean.

I told DH I wanted to "do it all by myself"... that way he'll be "helping" me when I ask him to do some part of it that's too hard for me, rather than thinking he's going to have to build yet another thing around here.

Great idea. I have linoleum on the floor but wish I had it on all of the walls so I could hose it out every now and then.

The boys did a great job this morning of sweeping it out and mopping it, but there is DUST everywhere in there. A little hosing down would have been nice for them.

Thanks! I would not have thought of this idea if I hadn't read, literally, thousands of BYC posts and looked at hundreds of BYC pictures. The variety of coop ideas is amazing.

This forum is the best place I've ever been on the 'net!

wink.png

i used the stickey tiles and i have several left over. I considered cutting them in half and sticking them to the bottom of the wall. I think it would help prevent the wood from getting wet and clean up would be easy in the spring.

I got lucky and found the paneling at HD that you use in bathrooms for $5 a sheet
It had bad spots and they don't match but the chickens don't care
The poo slides right off and it wipes down easy too.
But you know linoleum is a very good idea too.
I have it on the floor and it cleans up great.
Melia

The more vinyl flooring you have in the coop, the more places for water to get into but not out of, and thus start rot.

It's one thing to have it on the floor, where it plays a useful role (prevents poo from getting stuck to any parts of the plywood floor that get exposed when chickens go shovelling the litter around). But I really dunno about putting it on WALLS, that don't get pooey (well not unless your roost is too close to the wall).

Just prime and paint your walls well, and don't *marinate* them in water (just hose off, if you must, and dry the coop out) and they should be fine with much less chance of rot/mold developing than if you had a layer of vinyl over 'em.

JMHO,

Pat

Get a remnant that is large enough to cut to size - so that lowest 8"-12" of the lower wall is covered. Anything higher and there is a good chance of condensation problems. We use wood chips and straw, over sand, over congoleum (cheap remnant at carpet outlet), over treated plywood. Shed is slightly tilted towards the door - downhill (under trees and afraid of taking a branch during a storm and the resultant mop out).

The sand is about three inches deep (only two inches in chicken coop).

We started with nothing but straw and wood chips in turkey shed. Every time they flew down from roost they'd slide out the door on their butts trailing straw behind them. This led to addition of sand (very good for both chook and turk legs - compressing when they hit the floor).

We also put a floor stop inside door 1"x2" so that the bedding could be raked out easily, but little feet couldn't remove everything while poking around.

Back
Top Bottom