Linoleum Coop Floors

Suzy P

Chirping
Mar 10, 2021
Linoleum Coop Floors
Give me the pros and cons of linoleum (squares / solid) over wooden coop floors!
❤

I have seen a lot of folks using linoleum on their coop floors and seem to love it due to easy clean up.
Thank you in advance for your reply post.
😀

Pic of Weezer
💕
in our coop for me to be able to keep up with my original post!
338018077_237206422098283_5117452221510062754_n.jpg

I used leftover peel and stick squares on my poop boards and it cleans up nicely. I'm not sure if I would use it on the floor, I would think it would get slippery if water is spilled like nuthatched mentioned.

First of all, it's not likely linoleum but vinyl you're going to want to use.
Linoleum is not flexible enough and costs way more than vinyl.
'Linoleum' is a colloquial term used frequently even if inaccurate, and a pet peeve of mine.

I have single sheet heavy duty foam backed vinyl on the coop floor and the poop boards.
It's all held up pretty well for 10 years now.
Yes it can be slippery, especially when I first change out the old pine shavings for fresh, but it's not caused any injuries here.
I used a single sheet so as not to have any seams where a spill could seep thru and rot the wire and wood underneath. I bent the edges up the wall in varying distances so no spills would leak under the edges. No glue was used so it would be easier to remove if it needed replacement. I did have to pin down a few edges with wood strips or metal angle stock, near doors, to keep it intact and functional.
I used the vinyl I chose because it was about the only one that didn't break when I bent down a corner when testing types.

Pics here of my vinyl install:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

I also have sheet vinyl on the floor of my coop, now 13 years old. Easy because I can take it out, hose off, air/sun dry while changing out the shavings. Probably time to get another sheet....:hmm If you decide to go with sheet vinyl, I'd suggest painting your coop floor with Kilz or a light-color exterior, low VOC paint first (presuming floor is plywood) if you have the ability. Don't paint unless you can be certain it will completely dry and be fume-free before chickens go back in for the night.

I used vinyl glued down to a thin piece of plywood as poop boards under my roosts. Shavings on the poop board also make for easy cleaning.

My coop shavings are deep enough that I'm not worried about slipping or injuries. Plus, my roosts are not very far above the floor of coop.

I use linoleum in mine. Its actual linoleum flooring i bought.
Pros:
Its easy to clean.
I can do deep litter so much better.
It doesnt ruin the wood.
My coop i made specifically for deep litter so its deep enough i can put 6 or 7 inches of bedding in at once.
Cons:Slippery

I just bought and installed linoleum stick and peel plank tiles. They were $.37 a sq ft so it was the cheapest option. The home depot or lowes where I live didn't have the roll of peel and stick.
This was on clearance at Lowes so it was even cheaper than the vinyl on the roll, which you needed to stick with a glue. I covered with a thin layer of hemp.

Attachments

• IMG_5570.jpeg
    IMG_5570.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    462.5 KB · Views: 16
Linoleum Coop Floors
Give me the pros and cons of linoleum (squares / solid) over wooden coop floors!
❤

I have seen a lot of folks using linoleum on their coop floors and seem to love it due to easy clean up.
Thank you in advance for your reply post.
😀

Pic of Weezer
💕
in our coop for me to be able to keep up with my original post!View attachment 3604092
We used a textured linoleum, that does not seem slippery when wet. We got a piece big enough to wrap around the edges of the floor, then assembled the walls. We still use pine shavings, on the floor but we are able to use a broom and a snow shovel to clear it out, so it does make for easy clean up. We did not use a glue, as we were not sure that the toxic fumes would ever really go away, or at least soon enough for our chickens to move in when we needed them to.

Back
Top Bottom