Ideas for coop floor

Chold05

Songster
May 24, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello again, friends!
I decided to go big and gift my girls a new coop for their 3rd birthday! :celebrate

What kind of flooring should I use? They're be plywood and I plan to paint it, but I want something on top that will be easy to clean. It would be a bonus if it was aesthetically pleasing because I can run that into the entrance/feed room which won't have bedding on it.

I've been researching and it sounds like linoleum is safe but vinyl is toxic. I can't find linoleum anywhere!? Do they still make it?

Any other ideas?

Home Depot or Lowe's still has it on bulk rolls.
If your still in the planning stage, build the floor and then install the linoleum to the edge. The bottom plate of the wall covers the edge so it can't curl.

Attachments

• IMG_20190303_133618811.jpg
    IMG_20190303_133618811.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 24
Home Depot or Lowe's still has it on bulk rolls.
If your still in the planning stage, build the floor and then install the linoleum to the edge. The bottom plate of the wall covers the edge so it can't curl.
That's probably vinyl....don't think linoleum rolls like that.
It's also more expensive and not as waterproof.

That's probably vinyl....don't think linoleum rolls like that.
It's also more expensive and not as waterproof.
Your correct it's vinyl. But at .66¢ a sqft, it's not very expensive. The only downside is it's a 12' wide roll, so if coop isn't 12' wide, your going to have some waste, or a seam. I used some of my extra to line my nest boxes and poop boards.

From what I’ve seen, it looks like having too many layers in the flooring allows moisture to get stuck between the layers.

I’m going with 1/2” HDPE flooring in my coop, it’s basically like cutting board material.

From what I’ve seen, it looks like having too many layers in the flooring allows moisture to get stuck between the layers.

I’m going with 1/2” HDPE flooring in my coop, it’s basically like cutting board material.
That stuff is expensive.

I've had no moisture issues using the rolled flooring.

Back
Top Bottom