lion head or holland lop? I got a bunny pic added

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
Which breed would you choose for a 9 year old to show in 4h? I could not find bunnies and today I was offered 2 for free and nearly free. I do not want to get 2 rabbits we know what happens then
tongue.png

Last edited:
I would go with the holland and here is the reasons why. It depends on your area 4-H, but ours only allows purebred rabbit breeds listed with ARBA, lionhead is not showable yet. Hollands are known for their super sweet nature. Lionheads seem to vary, some are sweet, some are not. Lionheads also require more grooming (brushing) than hollands, which require little if any.

That is my 2 cents as a 4-H leader and rabbit breeder for many years.

I agree that the Holland lop is the better bunny for 4h. I had a Lions Head bunny and I was not impressed with it. I ended up returning it the auction. It just didn't have a lot of personality. I have always been happy with other rabbits personalities, and the LH just wasn't as nice as others I have had.

Thanks for the info I have not had a raabbit since I was a kid and it was an angora albino (great rabbit). I want somthing easy for a child to handle.

The reasons you have been given above are good ones, and I will add another. Lionheads tend to be known for their feisty energetic attitude. And that is of course NOT what you want for a child learning how to handle rabbits.

BTW, I know it isn't one of the breeds you mentioned, but my personal choice for a child learning about rabbits would be a Flemish Giant. They are quite large of course, but super gentle and calm. Plus their large size is good in case your child has an oopsie like, Heaven forbid, dropping it.

Last edited:
Lionheads are not recognized by ARBA either so you can't necessarily compete at all 4-H shows especially if yours is ARBA sanctioned as ours is. We have a lionhead, she is a trip but a handful and i probably wouldn't get another one. My girls have netherland dwarfs which are wonderful, so sweet, easy to handle, only 2 pounds. I also like the Polish for these same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom