1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lionhead bunnies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Batty about Banties, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Batty about Banties

Batty about Banties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    I am getting a male lionhead rabbit for Easter and was wondering how their temperments are? Towards other male rabbits? chickens? ducks? dogs? people? Any other information that seems important would be awesome too!

I already have one bunny so I kind of know about the food and what not. Not too sure about the breed though.

2. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    I have a lionhead doe, and raised her from a baby. She was sweet until she reached maturity, when she became aggressive. It became so bad, that we couldn't stick our hands in her cage without her biting us. We got her spayed, and now she's a sweetie again! She LOVES to be pet on he ears. She isn't scared of our dogs, cats, ducks, etc. But we don't let her in with them, because the dogs, and cats would attack her. Haven't tried her with the ducks yet. She is however VERY territorial with other rabbits. She attacks my Dutch buck (neuterd), even though he is the sweetest thing, and he adores her. We are still working on introducing them. I don't have a buck lionhead, but this is just an experience that might help! I love her so much, and from my experiences the bucks are nicer. I highly recommend them!

3. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. I also heard the bucks were a little nicer.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    In my experience, lionheads are nice, calm, friendly little bunnies.

The only thing I would not do is put a male rabbit with another male, unless they were both neutered. Rabbits are pretty solitary creatures and putting two together (even if they were raised together) can cause some pretty serious injuries. Some people do it just fine, but I know I've always been too nervous. They may be fine one day and tear up their partner the next!

As far as other animals go, my rabbits never really intereacted with my other animals, but she got along fine with the dog and was ok with the chickens.

Make sure you post pictures!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have a male lionhead and he is very sweet. He doesn't like to be picked up but loves to be petted while sitting in his cage or on your lap. I think he is afraid he will fall or something. We have some half lionhead babies and they are a little on the shy side but I can pet them . They are definitely not aggressive.

6. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    My buck is very sweet, as well. He can't wait to get out of the cage to play with us. He will jump in circles until we get him out. Not a mean bone in his body. He even trained himself to use a litter box. [​IMG]

7. Batty about Banties

Feb 12, 2011
    Gorge
    Quote:I am getting them both fixed but I have to wait I heard until the new one is about 4 months old? Is this correct?

8. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    4-6 months old. That is the age I got mine fixed. I'm glad you are planning on fixing them, I know some bunnies who aren't fixed... Not only are they SUPER mean bunnies, but the doe's keep dying from cancer.

[​IMG]

9. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have 2 male Lionheads (In seperate cages). They are SWEETHEARTS! I also have 2 Females that are calm and gentle. I have 4 younger females that are a little spastic but hope as they get older they will calm down like the first 2 Females. I think they are going through a TEENAGE period! Best of Luck to you and your Bunny!

10. DuckLover179

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:I'm hoping that's just what it is for you! Mine turned SO bratty after a few months, and wouldn't stop, so our only option was spaying her. Now she's the sweetest thing (Well not as nice as our male dutch)! So, I'll be praying that it's just a stage for your rabbit... I know spaying isn't fun (For us, and the rabbit).

OP, I don't know if you want this, but I'm bored, so here's a pic of my lionhead Cotton:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by