Liquid Calcium - help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krista74, Aug 13, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have just bought some Calcivet Liquid Calcium Suppliment for my chickens. We have been having some soft shelled egg issues and I suspect a lack of calcium is the cause.

Without getting into a huge debate about how and what to feed my girls (yes, they get layers pellets, and no, they won't eat them!) I feel adding a liquid calcium to their water is the best way to go. They also refuse to eat their shell grit. Sigh.....

I have contacted the online support from the organisation I bought the suppliment from and they emailed back right away and said that they could not offer "Off-label advice" and that the product (per the label) was for "Ornamental birds".

They also said that in order to produce good quality shells, chickens need both Calcium and vitamin D. When I asked what was in the product they sold me they said that it was "Calcium and Vitamin D"....!

I wrote back and said that I was going to 'read between the lines' here and give this product to my girls, to which the only response I got back was a smiley face!

Do you think I am ok to give this in the appropriate dose, as per the label? Has anyone else ever used it?

Thanks in advance.

Krista

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never used a liquid calcium supplement, but if it is used for ornamental birds, I think it would be fine to use on your hens. Just don't overdo it--I would give the recommended dosage, but not all the time. Maybe use it one day and then not for a few days?

3. tridentk9

tridentk9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    While written for African Greys, this article talks about calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D3, etc interactions as well as foods that can help or hinder calcium absorption.

However since this is written for a parrot species instead of chickens, please verify recommended daily amounts for chickens.

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/nutrition/calcium.htm

1 person likes this.
  4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Thank you all for your replies. Particularly the very interesting link regarding calcium absorption which was very informative.

I have spoken to our local vet this morning and he has confirmed that the liquid Calcium/vitamin D supplement should not harm my birds. There is also no effect on the eggs as far as us eating them is concerned, so he has agreed introducing the recommended dose into their drinking water as per the label directions.

He did say that the egg formation process is a slow one, and as a result it may take several weeks for us to notice an effect. He said that in the mean time he can only suggest removing all other fodder (grains, corn etc) from the coop and locking them in there with the layers pellets and nothing else until they 'develop a taste for them!' ie: "Eat the darn pellets!" [​IMG]

I suspect that the grain they do eat, combined with them refusing to eat the layers pellets and grit, is contributing to the problem.

Hopefully once my order arrives I will be able to restore the balance in their systems.

Thank you once again for your help.

- Krista

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Try adding some warm water to their pellets, mine love it when I do. :D

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Great link!

-Kathy

7. LovemyBabies

LovemyBabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    Ours wouldn't touch pellets - so we switch to the crumble back in the day - they didn't like either eating it whole or trying to break it down or something- but since they wouldn't eat- we switched to that and no more problems- we give egg and shell back to the birds since they aren't too into oyster either- they LOVE their egg- here you have to scramble and crumble shell into the egg for it to be effective and them not realize they're eating their own eggs- since you'res are soft I don't see that happening - so you could always do store bought or find another person with farm eggs - I try to stay away from store bought chemical supplements and stick with natural things- try something else high in calcium and D --- just a thought

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I thought Methadone was a controlled drug. As it's being used for withdrawel from other drugs like morphine and oxycodone or oxycontin . I can't imagine feeding it to a chicken. Where did you get that suggestion from and how would you even get it? Just curious.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/915720/help-needed-young-chick-not-walking/0_50 Post#7
    And soap killing viruses? ( Could you give me a link to this (a professional link?)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Methadone is an opiat used to wean people off of other opiates, but it can also used to treat chronic pain in people, but I seriously doubt any vet would ever prescribe it for an animal.

-Kathy

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I am sorry, I know this isn't what this thread is about, but I have the same question as seminolewind. What would compel you to feed your chickens methadone?!

And for the OP, My hens also hated pellet layer feed. I switched them to crumbles and they were super happy to eat it. Keep us updated on the liquid calcium supplement, please!

Oh, and I second the warm water thing! My girls loved anything that was soupy and messy! Sometimes I would mix unsweetened applesauce into the pellets/warm water in the winter time. they adored it.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by