1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Liquid Diet suggestions?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AccidentalFarm, Jun 17, 2007.

1. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    I have a 4 day old chick that is unable to eat regular food right now. I have been able to feed it water with an eyedropper and wondered if anyone can suggest a 'liquid' food that will give her some nutrients/energy to keep going until we can get back to regular food. She currently has Terramycin added to her water so, I cannot add V&E to it. Would the gravy from canned cat food be okay? Or thinned yogurt? I'm worried the chick will end up so weak it'll be unable to get better.

Illness is described over in the emergencies area:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8673

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hand feeding formula for parrots would work. If you don't want to buy anything, could you pulverize chick starter into a powder and mix it with water? You could grind the starter in a blender or put it in a plastic bag and pound it with a hammer. Sugar in the water, like you mix for chicks on the first day after they've arrived through the mail might make her feel strong enough to eat, too.

Good luck with your baby.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The hand feeding formula is great. It is a powder and you add the amount of water you want for the consistency you need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by