Liquid pouch on neck/breast

rthepunk

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Hi everyone:

We've just started keeping BY chickens in the past 2 1/2 years. Here is a problem we need help with. I've searched the Forum and it may be what is called "Sour Crop". Please let us know what we can do to help this girl.

RIR about 2 1/2 years. Started retaining liquid under her neck in front of her breast a couple weeks ago. It jiggles when she runs. She's happy, eats food/drinks, and runs around the yard just like the others.

Ideas what it is and how to help her?

Thank you
Susan

I bought some dewormer and am going to give it to them today.

If you bought Wazine, take it back and get some Safeguard liquid for goats instead. Wazine only gets roundworms and if I had a hen like your hen I would want to rule out capillary worms and would treat her with Safeguard for five days. Dose for an average size RIR would be 1.5ml by mouth once a day for five days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
thank you. We've always used Wazine and put it in their water. But, I haven't given it to them for a couple months.

The newly purchased Wazine I put in their water a bit ago. I'll pick up some Safeguard and an oral dosing syringe tomorrow and follow the directions as you posted.

Thank you for sharing your suggestions.
Susan

No change after using the Safeguard. Definitely a filled up crop and it only goes down a little bit over night. Not sour and she is otherwise healthy, running and around with the other girls. I've massaged it a bit, seems liquidty with a little something solid in there.. But, then i never massaged her first thing in the morning which would account for the food in there.

It's been this way for a good 2 months.

I think I'll try some of the of the ideas I've been reading about -- red wine or yogurt.

Any ideas out there?

Back
Top Bottom