Liquid pouch on neck/breast

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rthepunk, Sep 19, 2014.

1. rthepunk

rthepunk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Hi everyone:

We've just started keeping BY chickens in the past 2 1/2 years. Here is a problem we need help with. I've searched the Forum and it may be what is called "Sour Crop". Please let us know what we can do to help this girl.

RIR about 2 1/2 years. Started retaining liquid under her neck in front of her breast a couple weeks ago. It jiggles when she runs. She's happy, eats food/drinks, and runs around the yard just like the others.

Ideas what it is and how to help her?

Thank you
    Susan

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Has she ever been de-wormed with Safeguard or Valbazen?

-Kathy

3. rthepunk

Jan 6, 2014
    I bought some dewormer and am going to give it to them today.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

If you bought Wazine, take it back and get some Safeguard liquid for goats instead. Wazine only gets roundworms and if I had a hen like your hen I would want to rule out capillary worms and would treat her with Safeguard for five days. Dose for an average size RIR would be 1.5ml by mouth once a day for five days.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  5. rthepunk

Jan 6, 2014
    Can I put it in their waterer or find an oral syringe thing.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

You should give the wormer orally with a needle less syringe. You should be able to get a regular syringe from Tractor Supply or an oral dosing syringe from a pharmacy. Or you can buy them online.

-Kathy

7. rthepunk

Jan 6, 2014
    thank you. We've always used Wazine and put it in their water. But, I haven't given it to them for a couple months.

The newly purchased Wazine I put in their water a bit ago. I'll pick up some Safeguard and an oral dosing syringe tomorrow and follow the directions as you posted.

Thank you for sharing your suggestions.
    Susan

8. rthepunk

Jan 6, 2014
    I'm on Day 3 of the Safeguard. No change noticed. I found a website with an illustration of a chicken anatomy. The big ball of liquid is where the crop is. So she has liquid in there somewhere. Don't know if the dewormer helps this. Any ideas for getting rid of the liquid.

http://keep-hens-raise-chickens.com/anatomy-of-a-chicken

Susan

9. rthepunk

Jan 6, 2014
    No change after using the Safeguard. Definitely a filled up crop and it only goes down a little bit over night. Not sour and she is otherwise healthy, running and around with the other girls. I've massaged it a bit, seems liquidty with a little something solid in there.. But, then i never massaged her first thing in the morning which would account for the food in there.

It's been this way for a good 2 months.

I think I'll try some of the of the ideas I've been reading about -- red wine or yogurt.

Any ideas out there?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Still the same?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by