List of Materials to Butcher

Quote:
LOVE the alcohol!
thumbsup.gif

Here's what my tools/supplies include:
-6 killing cones on a 2x4 stand
- propane stand burner w/ 20 gal galvinized trash can (scalder)
- long probe thermometer (scalder temp gage)
- whizbang plucker
- 3'x6' metal clad table
- medium sized rubbermaid tote for birds that have been scalded/plucked in que for gutting
- Assortment of quality, sharp knives: I have Dexter-Russel poultry processing knives. I also use a 4" fillet knife for "the deed"
- lung scaper
- 55 gallon food grade barrel (holding tank for processed birds)
- Aprons for all those participating
- scales for weighing
- some intestinal fortitude if this is your first time

That's all I can think of right now. I have been wanting to take some pics of my set-up in action, but always forget about it when the time comes. If I take some this weekend, I'll post pics of how I'm set-up.

Last edited:
Yup, I see the list coming together.

Everyone will have a different setup, but all the essentials are emerging.

For killing, a cone or two, depending on the number of hand available for plucking, and some way of rigging them off the ground. Same rule applies to hanging by the feet for the job.

For plucking, a large pot and a burner big enough to overcome the heat loss between birds. Temp is critical, so the thermometer will be, too. Heavy rubber gloves, maybe large enough that you can wear a jersey work glove inside them, will help with the dunking and sloshing part.

From there, a table or two, for plucking and gutting. It's hard on the back with a low table, so the higher/closer to a good working height for you the better.

Once they're plucked, I generally use two knives. A heavier one for cutting off heads, feet and necks, and a small slicing/filet knife for around the tail end. Sharp is important, as is a having a steel around to help keep them that way. There are spoons/scrapers made just for the purpose, but any large spoon will work to scrape any remaining bits of lung/kidney from the inside of the carcass.

An odd thought. Having a few zip-ties around can be handy for those embarrassing moments when you discover that you've nicked the bowel near the vent. It happens. A ziptie is just the thing to quickly cinch off the upper section. Don't ask how I learned this but it works. As soon as you recognize the nick, STOP. Cinch off the bowel, finish opening up the bird, and rinse, rinse, RINSE with running water before going any further and attempting to remove the gut as a whole. Rinse off everything you can see and then rinse some more before proceeding.

Which gets to the supplies for sanitation and safe meat handling. Limitless running water is essential. A clean hose with a variable spray trigger gun is just the ticket. Chilled water, and the containers for it are a must. Their number will depend on the routine you develop. It's purpose is to chill the meat, keep it from airborne contaminants while waiting for the next step, and provide something of a rinse at each stage. If you were to work through one bird at a time, start to finish, you could get by with one tub at the end, to hold them before packing, but would want to rinse them with running water after plucking and before gutting. If larger batches at a time, a tub of cold water to hold them between plucking and gutting, perhaps another between gutting and any last work on broken and pin feathers, and maybe even another after that just as a rinse, if not done with the hose.

For work surfaces, utensils (and hands!), whatever number of pails, dishpans, or the like, necessary to periodicaly clean off work sufaces (brush, maybe squeegee, then hose those down), and for periodically cleaning knives and other tools, you'll want to have plenty around with a mild water/detergent/bleach solution, rinsing well after any cleaning done.

If you find anything getting too messy or dirty, stop to clean it up. This includes changing out any water or detergent/bleach that is looking murky or has a lot floating around in it.

For personal comfort, (what with all the water have around), rubber boots and a rubberized apron or bibs, will be handy.

Hot water, cold water, water to disinfect, and the things to keep it in. Sharp knives and sturdy work surfaces. Pails and bags are helpful for catching blood and disposing of feathers, heads and so on. Those are the essenials. If you can do it in a shady spot, all the better!

Last edited:
I am new to the Forum and this is a great thread.
I live on a small ranch and kill 30*or- birds a year. I have not used a forcing cone but I do use a gunney sack. I cut one corner out just big enough for the chickens head to fit through. I place the bird upside down in the bag and pull the head through the hole in the corner. Then tighten up the bag around the bird. This holds the bird from flopping around etc. holding the bird upside down I place the head over a plastic bucket and cut the two arteries and allow the bird to bleed out. Then I follow the process listed in this forum.
Bill

Thanks a ton guys. This is going to help out a lot.
bow.gif

What about the dunking water (before plucking)? What elese is in there other then water?

Quote:
Some folks will add a little Dawn to the scalding water to cut through the oil in the fine down. I'm a little touchy about it just now, having helped a neighbor butcher some (more down, much oilier) ducks last weekend. Most folks don't bother with it at all when scalding chickens for plucking. If you do, go very EASY on it. A couple of quick squirts in a large pot. You don't want it ANYWHERE near as soapy as dishwater.

Best bet is to try straight water first. Just keep your temp around 145-150 so you dont' start cooking the bird or its flesh. And stop dunking/sloshing/scalding a few seconds after you're able to start pulling some feathers as a test. Too hot or too long, and you'll find you've cooked the skin to a point that it will tear as you try to pluck, at which point you'll do as well to stop plucking and just skin it.

Last edited:
Quote:
I do add a squirt of dawn to my scalding water, and to my first dunk bucket. The last two buckets that I dunk them in (I'm a dunker...I probably waaaay over dunk...over swish and over spray to get them clean...but I can't help it...) are just plain water...no dawn dish soap.

Jessa

Back
Top Bottom