Listless chicken

Brx76

Hatching
Apr 4, 2020
Hello, I've posted here before, but I couldn't get into my old account.

I've got an approximately 2+ month old chick who was active and healthy up until this past week. I've been watching him and the symptoms I've noticed are:

Low energy - he mostly sits and will chirp quietly when I'm near

Fluffed up- he sits with his head pulled in and feathers fluffed like he's cold.

No energy - he seems to have very little energy, I saw him get stepped on this morning and he just laid there, no struggle at all, I had to push the other chicken off. He doesn't struggle when picked up or even turned on his back, just peeps quietly.

Eats less - he does eat, but its low energy /low effort and he quits eating before similarly aged chick and just sits there puffed up.

Drinking - I'm not sure how much he drinks or if he even does, I tried to get him to drink this morning but he wouldn't.

I've looked him over and didn't notice anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would separate him or at least observe for awhile so you can see what his poop looks like.
Coccidosis could be the problem, but I would expect several chicks to become symptomatic.
Can you tell if his crop is emptying?

I would separate him or at least observe for awhile so you can see what his poop looks like.
Coccidosis could be the problem, but I would expect several chicks to become symptomatic.
How do
Checked his crop, couldn't feel it so it must be empty. For comparison, I grabbed a similarly aged chick and her crop was obvious as you'd expect after recently eating.

Try giving him some scrambled eggs or wet cat food. See if he’ll eat anything.
Do you know if he’s been vaccinated for anything? That may rule some things out.

Try giving him some scrambled eggs or wet cat food. See if he’ll eat anything.
Do you know if he’s been vaccinated for anything? That may rule some things out.
Quarantined since yesterday morning with water only. Every time I checked on him he was sitting under the heat light.
This morning he's eating some crumble slowly but steadily. No urgency.

This chick was one of 2 we got from Southern States, I don't know if they're vaccinated.

That's good, probably not coccidiosis than.

I would focus on encouraging eating and drinking so he can regain some strength.

How long have you had him? Since he was a chick?
What are they eating? A chick starter?

You could try giving Poly Visol without iron.

That's good, probably not coccidiosis than.

I would focus on encouraging eating and drinking so he can regain some strength.

How long have you had him? Since he was a chick?
What are they eating? A chick starter?

You could try giving Poly Visol without iron.

I'm wondering if he didn't just get stepped on. He's doing a lot better.

I got him as a chick he's eating starter and free ranging.

I'll probably put him back out with the flock today.

Back
Top Bottom