Listless Hen with Little spots of Blood in Poop - Looking for Advice

First thing that comes to mind is cocci. Have you started treatment with corid? It may save her life if that's what she's got and it won't hurt her if she doesn't. You also need to get fluids into her. Dehydration is a real threat when they won't eat or drink. Search casportpony for "how to" tube your girl. She's very helpful.

No, I haven't treated for anything yet and don't have experience with this. Is it something I can get at a feed/supply store? She was drinking all yesterday but haven't seen her drink at all today. I'll look at casportpony for that. Thank you!

You should be able to get it at your local tractor supply or feed store yes. Rx name is Amprolium but the brand name you'll most likely find is called Corid . The symptoms you're describing sound very much like with others describe. I have 0 experience with cocci, but I try to read up on stuff to educate myself, so I'm just telling you what I've read on here and other sites. Fluids are very important for her-more that food even. Without fluids, she can't digest and cells will start to break down. If you get the 9.6% liquid solution, it's 1 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all your birds as if this is what she has, you'll want them all treated. Good luck and let us know how it's going!

Take her to the vet and have them check her poop for coccidiosis, bacteria and worm eggs. If she's not drinking and eating, have them show you how to tube feed.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Also have them check for blackhead.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for you input. I was able to bring a fecal sample to our vet (she's an avian vet), and she looked at it under a compound scope as I stood there. It was free of bacteria, including cocci, and did not contain any parasites, eggs, etc. Therefore, she said it could be a some sort of toxin like a poisonous plant or mold on nuts (we have walnuts and almonds on ground) or possibly a different type of bacterial infection. I think she said hepatitis, all of which could be affecting her liver. She offered and I accepted an antibiotic (Ciproflaxacin) to cover most bacteria it could be and we started giving her it right away. However, at the same time we started giving it to her, she started eating and drinking a little more and she has improved ever since. We gave her yogurt, bread, and tomatoes to get her eating initially, with layer crumble always available, and then I started bringing her some green grass too. She recovered and seems to be fine now. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom