Listless Hen

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
My hen that was attacked by a hawk two weeks ago isn't doing well. She was fine for two weeks after the attack, but yesterday I noticed her being listless. She walks slowly around, doesn't run out to free range right away. She also tilts her head a lot. Her eye that was neat the injury changed color to a greenish color. She closes that one a lot too. She eats and has a full crop. Haven't seen her poop. I'm treating for lice right now.
Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4022.JPG
    IMG_4022.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 12
Hmmm... poor thing. Infection is on my mind, too. How old is she? I hate to throw this out there, but I do wonder if the stress of the attack could be bringing out Marek’s, if she has the virus. I also notice her comb is flopped over, even though it isn’t particularly large. Is this normal for her? I ask because I had a sick hen whose comb flopped over, too. Having said that, I feel the need to repeat the infection possibility. I hope she feels better soon.

hmmm. make sure she has access to food and water. Maybe quarantine her so you can keep a better eye on her. If she starts laying on her side, put her in a chicken sling. If she hates the sling, put her in a bin (no lid) and prop her up with towels. Last thing we want here is wry neck. Saline might help her possible eye infection. Make sure she isn't stressed. Take her outside, as well. Fresh air does wonders! ;)

hmmm. make sure she has access to food and water. Maybe quarantine her so you can keep a better eye on her. If she starts laying on her side, put her in a chicken sling. If she hates the sling, put her in a bin (no lid) and prop her up with towels. Last thing we want here is wry neck. Saline might help her possible eye infection. Make sure she isn't stressed. Take her outside, as well. Fresh air does wonders! ;)
Thanks.

I would urge you to get the necropsy. Her eye color change along with her quick demise looks like possible Mareks disease. She had pretty bad scaly leg mites, so you might want to check your other chickens for the same. Here is a link for contacting your state vet, and I would refrigerate her body until you ship it:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

If you get the necropsy and have her tested, let us know what you find out. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom