Listless Hen

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
My hen that was attacked by a hawk two weeks ago isn't doing well. She was fine for two weeks after the attack, but yesterday I noticed her being listless. She walks slowly around, doesn't run out to free range right away. She also tilts her head a lot. Her eye that was neat the injury changed color to a greenish color. She closes that one a lot too. She eats and has a full crop. Haven't seen her poop. I'm treating for lice right now.
Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4017.JPG
    IMG_4017.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4022.JPG
    IMG_4022.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 12
Possible eye infection? Is there any discharge? Change in eye color (don't see it in the pic), does she tilt to the injured eye side? You can see lice, mites are a tiny ... What are you treating with? You may want to give her some electrolytes & vitamins.

Hmm. CAn you see any injustices from the attack? She might just be stressed out and scared. For a few weeks after my ducks were attacked, they barely left the coop becuaes they were scared
She had injuries, but they had healed up. She was fine for a couple weeks after they healed. Maybe late neurological damage?

Could she have an infection?
Possibly, I don't see any open wounds though.

Possible eye infection? Is there any discharge? Change in eye color (don't see it in the pic), does she tilt to the injured eye side? You can see lice, mites are a tiny ... What are you treating with? You may want to give her some electrolytes & vitamins.
No discharge. My one other hen does have an eye infection tha I've taken to the vets already. Seems different though.
Ivermectin. I treated the whole flock.

Hmmm... poor thing. Infection is on my mind, too. How old is she? I hate to throw this out there, but I do wonder if the stress of the attack could be bringing out Marek’s, if she has the virus. I also notice her comb is flopped over, even though it isn’t particularly large. Is this normal for her? I ask because I had a sick hen whose comb flopped over, too. Having said that, I feel the need to repeat the infection possibility. I hope she feels better soon.

Hmmm... poor thing. Infection is on my mind, too. How old is she? I hate to throw this out there, but I do wonder if the stress of the attack could be bringing out Marek’s, if she has the virus. I also notice her comb is flopped over, even though it isn’t particularly large. Is this normal for her? I ask because I had a sick hen whose comb flopped over, too. Having said that, I feel the need to repeat the infection possibility. I hope she feels better soon.
I think she's four now? I had a broody hen hatch her years ago, so she never did get a mareks vaccine.
Her comb has always had some flop, but I suppose it looks more floppy than usual. I'll have to look at old pictures of her.
How can I tell if it's an infection?

Back
Top Bottom