Listless Hen

:hugs So sorry for your loss :hugs Not wanting to be cruel but a necropsy may give you the WHY to her passing. Maybe the Vet could do it? So very sorry :hugs
Thank you. I've done necropsys in the past. I'll consider it for her, so maybe I can tell if it was mareks.

I’m so very sorry. I just saw the photo of her on the ladder and knew her end was near. My heart goes out to you.
Thank you.

I would urge you to get the necropsy. Her eye color change along with her quick demise looks like possible Mareks disease. She had pretty bad scaly leg mites, so you might want to check your other chickens for the same. Here is a link for contacting your state vet, and I would refrigerate her body until you ship it:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

If you get the necropsy and have her tested, let us know what you find out. Sorry for your loss.

I cant figure out how to do a spoiler on mobile, so be warned of the picture I attached.

Her body all looked normal except she had a bunch f tumors on her liver it looks like.

Attachments

• 4F833EF7-9751-427E-8834-5796D2F53B22.jpeg
    4F833EF7-9751-427E-8834-5796D2F53B22.jpeg
    608.1 KB · Views: 6
Yes the liver is very abnormal. I would suspect something like Mareks, but they would need to do PCR testing on the tissue. I think that leukosis also can cause spots on the liver, but doe not cause paralysis. Thank you for posting the picture.

Yes the liver is very abnormal. I would suspect something like Mareks, but they would need to do PCR testing on the tissue. I think that leukosis also can cause spots on the liver, but doe not cause paralysis. Thank you for posting the picture.
My hen never really went paralyzed, she really just seemed to get more and more weak. Her wings never really drooped either, so maybe it was leukosis. The pictures look more similar to that than mareks.

Back
Top Bottom