Listless pullet, weird poo, rump up.... came on FAST <update-EGGBOUND>

AmyBella

Songster
13 Years
May 26, 2009
Western MA
I hope someone can help!!! One of my girls was absolutely fine this morning and this afternoon when they were let out to free-range. I got home from work and the girls came running to greet me as usual... except for one. She was off by herself... just sitting there! I carried her back into the yard near the coop and put her down. She looked listless and dazed, she stood around for awhile, walked around a little and then sat back down and closed her eyes. She has a little poo around her vent and I noticed now that she is inside that she is holding her butt up in the air in a strange way. She dropped a weird, wet poo on me.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Red sex link, 23 weeks, normal weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Listlessness, diarrhea (have to observe more poos), holding rump up.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Organic layer pellets, free choice grit and oyster shell. Water
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. The one I have observed so far was formless and mucus-y... almost like snot with urates on it. All the poos in the tractor looked normal... everyone's "overnight deposits" from last night were normal.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I put electrolites in her water and saw her drink several times. I made a wet mash with layer pellets, starter mash, yogurt, 5 drops poly-vi-sol. She ate almost all of it.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Treat myself, might consider vet as a last resort. The only vet is far away and not very experienced with chickens.
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use They live in an a-frame tractor with the coop on top. It is moved every day and they usually free range for a couple of hours in the pm. Bedding is hay.

I also thought I should mention that she and her sisters started laying about two weeks ago... I don't know who lays what eggs, but today I got four eggs and there are four of them!

Last edited:
she might be eggbound... you can do a search on that in this forum >place her in shallow warm bath to help the egg come out. Give a crushed TUM (not rolaid but just a regular TUM > this is emergency replacement for the calcium a vet would give a bird suspected with eggbinding)... please do the search on other posts on this > click the SEARCH button at the top of page and then as keyword EGGBOUND and specify the EMERGENCY forum.

Thanks! I was just reading some posts and came up with that as a possibility. I guess maybe one of my other hens laid 2 eggs today?!?

I'm going to soak her right now. At least it will clean off the poo!

holy cow... keeping her in the water was pretty stressful BUT after struggling for 10 minutes and then 20 minutes of taking turns w/DH holding her down she laid a small shell-less egg. She is resting quietly in my lap and sends her deepest gratitude!

her vent is still pulsing pretty hard and she is still holding her rump up. I'm going to let her rest and dry off and then try to feed her the calcium again. she wouldn't take it before her bath.

dlhunicorn, you have my deepest gratitude as well. Blessings!

I'm off to research follow up care.

OH MY GOSH! The second after I sent that post she laid ANOTHER one!!!! better formed but still hardly any shell. Wow.

Bet she feels somewhat better-hope all goes well for her.
fl.gif

She is SO much better! This forum is such an amazing resource. I'm new to chickens and am learning so much. I wish I didn't have to learn by having scary problems, but oh well!

The reason for the use of TUMS :
This emergency substitute came from a veterinary source and specific type of calcium is calcium gluconate (that is what vet normally gives). Too MUCH calcium is also bad (and the wrong type would be useless I assume?) At any rate the advice specifically said TUMS so please use that and not anything else as the dosage or form may not be correct and you do not want to make things worse.
I am glad you got the problem worked out > you might want to let her rest in a dark quiet room for a day or so to recover.

Back
Top Bottom