Literary Quotes about geese . . .

larkflying

Songster
8 Years
I found this quote from an essay by E.B. White about geese, and it made me laugh. I'm going to have to look for more references to geese in my books just for fun . . . although I may not tell my family. I am perilously close to only getting goose knick knacks for holidays and birthdays . . .

"I miss the geese around here, in all weather . . . Any sort of disturbance, whether man-made or elemental, is of immense interest to a goose, and geese watch the world through eyes that often seem capable of seeing things not visible to men. I have always envied a goose its look of deep, superior wisdom. I miss the cordiality of geese, the midnight cordiality. And they are the world's best drinkers, forever at it." E.B. White, The Points of My Compass, from the end of the Eye of Edna essay.

I've been woken by their midnight cordiality all too often . . . and run out looking for coyotes only to discover the geese talking to the moon, or the bats or something.

Good quote and how true. I bet Mark Twain has some passages about geese. He seemed to write about every creature under the sun. I bet you would find it faster to look for quotes on line, but maybe efficiency is not the point.

"I miss the geese around here, in all weather . . . Any sort of disturbance, whether man-made or elemental, is of immense interest to a goose, and geese watch the world through eyes that often seem capable of seeing things not visible to men. I have always envied a goose its look of deep, superior wisdom. I miss the cordiality of geese, the midnight cordiality. And they are the world's best drinkers, forever at it." E.B. White, The Points of My Compass, from the end of the Eye of Edna essay.

I've been woken by their midnight cordiality all too often . . . and run out looking for coyotes only to discover the geese talking to the moon, or the bats or something.
lol.png

I was looking for this thread a while back!! But by now I've lost track of the quote I wanted to add. Oh well, this will have to do:

“The snow goose need not bathe to make itself white. Neither need you do anything but be yourself.” - Lao Tzu

Back
Top Bottom