Litter/Bedding for Duck House?

rocky41102

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Tennessee
We made a duck house out of extra cinder blocks and PVC roofing that we had so we have a good sized house for our 3 muscovies and 1 pekin. We're finishing the door up now but I'm wondering about the bedding or litter to use? The house is on a concrete slab that was already there. The ducks will only be in there at night (provided I can teach them to go in) and then they have our yard and pond to play in. Is hay good? Or should we use something else? For a nesting box I was going to put a plastic tub in with holes cut out unless I find a better option-but what's a good bedding for the nesting box?

It kind of depends where you live and how much work you like to do. In colder climates you should have some form of insulation on top of the concrete. That can be a horse stall mat or lots of hay. I personally chose the horse stall mat and pine shavings, because I like to clean it out daily. That keeps flies out and my ducks love to have their house clean each night. I use a floor scrubber to clean up daily and dump the stuff underneath my shrubs. It takes less then 5 minutes to clean. For bedding you can build a row bed using dish washing pans or small cat litter pans. I just build some lumber around it without a floor. Easy to lift and clean. My ducks seem to like the low walls, because it allows them to interact. There is do not need to have a roof over their nests/beds. I also use the deep rubbermaid lid underneath my water and food, that I do provide at night. My ducks go in all by themselves at night, and I think it worked for then because the food and water is inside. I provide food and water twice per day. One in the morning outside, which they usually clean out by about about 2 in the afternoon and then free range eating bugs etc for the rest of the day. Then in the evening I fill up the food and water in the duck house, which is enough to get them through the night. I also have a baby night light on, which ducks seem to like. It calms them down yet they can see what is going on. Here are some pictures:
51964_ducknests2.jpg

51964_setup6.jpg

Those pictures are actually a few months old. It still shows rubber runner mats from Home Depot. They are great, because they are textured and only cost 12 dollars per roll. They are good for summer, just not for winter. I have 9 large ducks and they all have their own beds. I bet the switch them up each night.
cool.png
They really use them. I use a kiddie litter scoop to the clean them out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures !
Your watering system ....is that something used for dogs?
and does your water freeze in the winter ?....if so what do you use then for the ducks?

Got that right. It is the "Le Bristro" for dogs. Available at pet stores. This is the 2.75 gallon one that I use for 9 large ducks. I only fill it to the half mark for the night. So a smaller one will work for less ducks. It is inside the insulated duck house so it does not freeze. For outside I use a bucket. In winter I will need a heated bucket for outside. You can use the heated dog bowl and place a regular bucket inside of it. That way you get more water out with the same effect. No need to buy expensive large heated buckets at the feed store.

Back
Top Bottom