Little ankle biter cockerel

Gee, if carrying him around doesn't mean anything, I wonder why it always works for me?? And actually I wasn't the one that came up with that idea...I read it on here on long time ago...so I'm pretty sure it must work for other people too. And it's a lot less to read through....

Whatever works for whoever is just wonderful....really no reason to get in a big argument about it or put down someone else's method because you think YOURS is the only way...is there?

I agree, and it has worked for me with not one, but two troubled roos and my rooster I have right now and have had for 3 months now is still people friendly. I find Bee's method to, well, be very harsh and more of a last resort. Anyways, doesn't the 5 freedoms mention the freedom from harm and fear? I do walk over my roo and move him out of my way by nudging him with my foot, but I don't beat him or traumatize him to the point he can't eat, mate or even crow around me.
There is NOTHING in that post of Bee's that says to "beat or traumatize" the bird. When she says "give him a good smack", it's just to tap the fluffy backside to get his attention and get him moving.

Some people can't get close enough to their roosters to pick them up and carry them around, or are to afraid to. This is just another training option that has been known to work. We all have to do what works best for us.

Always wear boots. Don't hit him with a stick. If he bites your ankle, you can put your foot under his chest and lift-it doesn't hurt him but he won't like and it and will come to respect the boot pretty quickly. You can also grab him and put his head down and make him squat a sign of submission. Squatting it what the hens do as a sign of submission, such as when you pass by, put your hand down to pet one, or when the rooster walks by and wants to mate them. It shows that you are in charge and he must submit to you.

Back
Top Bottom