Little baby gosling not growing!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by danajo84, Apr 5, 2016.

1. danajo84

danajo84 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas
    My mothers geese laid eggs and my mother decided to try to incubate them. Eventually she finally had one hatch. Only one! She already had 3 baby ducks hatched when the gosling hatched. They were much bigger so she was afraid they might hurt her so she asked me to take her. So I have and from everything I'm reading she should be growing considerable everyday?? If that is the case then something is very wrong. She was born Easter and I got her two days later and she hasn't grown much at all. I can tell a tiny bit because I'm with her everyday but it's not a noticeable difference like Iv been reading about. I talked to a lady at a goose farm and she said add niacin to the water so I have. She's been on that for two days now, plus grass clippings and 20% chick starter unmediated and a poultry snack called baby cake and of course plenty of water. I dont know what to do but still I see barely any growth. I bought her a friend so she wouldn't be alone and he was born 2 days before Easter and he is 3-4 times her size. Both American buff geese. I dont know I'm just wondering if how she was incubated could have stunted her somehow i dont know. She seems healthy and happy but just not growing much. What should I do???

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas
    [​IMG]

This is a picture of the little girl with the big boy. I sexed the little girl myself did not sex the boy was told he was male sexed by the farm owner. Anyway he is supposedly only 2 days older then her and if that is true then WOW! Right??? She is soo little and holding lol

In case it's hard to tell how big they are: He is the size of a football and she is the size of a tennis ball.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Wow that's a big difference!

4. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas

Any ideas???

5. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    To be honest I'm More involved with chickens and wouldn't want to give you a wrong answer.

6. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Maybe she a runt??????

7. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas

I dont know if that's even possible??

8. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I have read a few threads that have claimed it but its more of a gentic side effect i wOuld think she got a ressive gene that was made her smaller. But i am just estimating what coukd have csused it i am not extremely experiance in this department. I just extremely curious

9. danajo84

Apr 2, 2016
    Springtown Texas

Me too! Thanks for replying

10. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland

It is highly unlikely that he is two days older then the little one.
    She looks like she is less then a week old and the big one is atleast 2 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by