Little Black Hen. Unknown Breed.

IsaacK

Songster
6 Years
Jul 4, 2016
Central Indiana
Told shes about 3 years old. She lays a light pinkish brown egg of average size. Shes smaller than an Orpington, but not anywhere near as small as a bantam. Her feet are black and without feathering of any kind.

I will have to look them up. Haven't had them before. One odd thing I noticed is that she is so quiet. I watched her lay an egg and she never made so much as a peep before, during, or after. Shes really pretty. Shes black, but the black is actually so dark its actually iridescent. :)

I'd never had Aussies until this last year. I've been very impressed how great they are as layers. This girl is older, so she probably won't be really churning out the eggs, but she'll probably give say 4 a week or so. Mine are so calm, very drama-free and get along with everyone else in the flock.

I'd never had Aussies until this last year. I've been very impressed how great they are as layers. This girl is older, so she probably won't be really churning out the eggs, but she'll probably give say 4 a week or so. Mine are so calm, very drama-free and get along with everyone else in the flock.

Are they smaller than the other Orpingtons though? She significantly smaller than the Buff Orp. We just got with her. Friendly little thing. Cant waitt o see how she looks feathered out after eating higher protein feed and treats.

I wasn't sure she would lay at all, but my son didnt have a black chicken yet, and she was being picked on so she came home with us. Not even 2 days, and she already laid an egg for us today. :)

Last edited:
My Aussies are on the smaller size, but so are most of my hatchery birds when compared to breeder quality. I guess mine are about the same size as my Rocks and sex links.

Back
Top Bottom