Little broody bungalo

@aart
Oh kind chicken guru. Can i get your insight? Ok so today she was locked in till i got home at 2. I opened the little door and she stayed on the nest. About half our later i went out and saw her in her pen. She ate, drank and started to dirtbath. I came back out about 20 min later and she was on the nest. I left for about 2 hours and when i came home she was dirtbathing again. I took the opportunity to look at her eggs again.

So i was only using the flash light on my phone. I took the eggs into the big coop ( they were still very warm so she mustve just left them) its darker in there. I put the eggs pointy side down over the light. What i saw was half the egg lengthwise looked dark. The other half was light. When i had done this with a new egg the entire egg is light. If i put the big end against the light i saw a light circle and the rest dark.. Im guessing air bubble? Thats what it looked like. All the eggs looked like this. Id like to get a real candler or a stronger flashlight but thats mostly my curiosity.

These eggs are now 6 days old. Sound about right?

@aart
Oh kind chicken guru. Can i get your insight? Ok so today she was locked in till i got home at 2. I opened the little door and she stayed on the nest. About half our later i went out and saw her in her pen. She ate, drank and started to dirtbath. I came back out about 20 min later and she was on the nest. I left for about 2 hours and when i came home she was dirtbathing again. I took the opportunity to look at her eggs again.

So i was only using the flash light on my phone. I took the eggs into the big coop ( they were still very warm so she mustve just left them) its darker in there. I put the eggs pointy side down over the light. What i saw was half the egg lengthwise looked dark. The other half was light. When i had done this with a new egg the entire egg is light. If i put the big end against the light i saw a light circle and the rest dark.. Im guessing air bubble? Thats what it looked like. All the eggs looked like this. Id like to get a real candler or a stronger flashlight but thats mostly my curiosity.

I know you aren’t talking to me but i think some photos might help get a better insight on what you’re talking about exactly.

I also use a phone flash light, but it works better going into a dark room and holding a tube, like paper towel roll, to have all the light shine thru the egg.

Also keep in mind broody hens need breaks off the nest to poop and do chicken activities, mine usually a half hour to hour.
Hope things go well for you.

I know you aren’t talking to me but i think some photos might help get a better insight on what you’re talking about exactly.

I also use a phone flash light, but it works better going into a dark room and holding a tube, like paper towel roll, to have all the light shine thru the egg.

Also keep in mind broody hens need breaks off the nest to poop and do chicken activities, mine usually a half hour to hour.
Thanks! I just watched a youtube video of a guy candling his eggs and it looked very similar to what im seeing.
. Im gonna try again this weekend. Ill try your trick and have husband take some pics.

Sounds a bit odd....did you only candle the one?
Have you ever hatched and candled before?
It takes some practice.
I use a strong flashlight on the fat end in a dark room.
Use my hand wrapped around end of flashlight to block any escaping light(critical).

1697580892374.png

Husband made this this weekend out of pallets and plywood. Have an unplanned broody we are moving in there tonight!

What do you all think?

The plastic is in case it rains till he can finish the roof with shingles
Your setup looks great!

The only comment I’d make is that baby chicks get confused with ramps. When you have it down you can block the sides to prevent chicks getting stuck under there, at least for the first few days. After that they figure it out.

Your setup looks great!

The only comment I’d make is that baby chicks get confused with ramps. When you have it down you can block the sides to prevent chicks getting stuck under there, at least for the first few days. After that they figure it out.
What do you think i should do to mitigate that? Im also considering that they might be able to get out of the chicken wire. I might need to reinforce the bottom with hardware cloth like @fuzzi suggested.

Eta: oh. I get it block up the area underneath lol. Thanks.

It takes some practice.
Use my hand wrapped around end of flashlight to block any escaping light(critical).

View attachment 3661834
i did them all and they all looked the same. No where near the detail like in those pics. But the fat end did look like the day 6 pic there. I will try again.

It takes some practice.

View attachment 3661834
Hi.

I took some pics. I bought a 500lumen flashlight and still not getting a great look. Im in a completely dark room. :/ idk. This is what i got. Im feeling like they are all duds. Day 9.
20231019_140117.jpg 20231019_140113.jpg 20231019_135800.jpg 20231019_135700.jpg 20231019_135740.jpg

I posted some pics above. What do you think. Im going to try again tomorrow. I used the paper towel tube but couldnt see anything. I didnt try it with the new flashlight though.

I posted some pics above. What do you think. Im going to try again tomorrow. I used the paper towel tube but couldnt see anything. I didnt try it with the new flashlight though.
Honestly i dont think i know that much about eggs to answer correctly. I have candled mine so my 10 cents on this matter is #2 and #3 seem questionable. I’m not to sure about the rest though, i would think there might be more development by now.. Hopefully it works out for you and someone with more experience in the matter can pitch in.

Back
Top Bottom