Little Brown Spots on Legs (with pics)

GardenYogi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Houston
My Leghorn has little brown spots on her feet. I noticed last night for the first time and thought it was mud, as they'd just been out in the recently watered garden, but today they were still there. They look kind of like freckles. I have searched posts here and other online sites/forums, but haven't heard of this or seen any pictures. Is there anyone who knows what this is, if it's a problem and how to treat it if necessary.

Also, they are smooth to the touch, soft--just like her leg skin (she's only 9 weeks old).

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Oh yes, I realized that I should provide additional information about their housing situation and environment.

They still sleep inside at night in a very large rubbermaid bin with soft pine shavings. Although, I've added newspaper under the shavings. (I've been trying to leave town the past two days, so I've been trying to make it easier for our house sitter to clean, but that's the only change cage-wise). The floor does get soiled, but it's changed twice a day.

Typically, for the past several weeks they free range a few hours in the AM or PM in our garden, grass and patio. I did however, just notice powdery mildew on my squash and beans and found spider mites on my Zinnia's and tomatoes. For those of you gardeners, the little brown spots of the spider mites resemble the little brown spots on her feet! I haven't found that it can transfer to animals, and the brown spots are where the eggs are hatched on the other side of the leaf, but then again, I don't know if there's a correlation or not.

Last edited:
*smile* I like it--foot freckles!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom