Little Giant 9200

Here is what I do and I have some great hatches from the LG.

Make sure room temp is constant. (this is most important) I have my incubator in the laundry room and I run my ac and keep the house at 79*. Get a replacement dimmer knob from walmart, it fits onto the turning stick on the LG . (99 cents) That way you can adjust the LG to fine tune it. I place two sponges on the sides of the water tray incase I need to up the humidity. I leave one plug in until lockdown, when I pull them both out and add water to the troughs. If humidity is not enough I will add more to one side of the sponges using a bent straw. If more is needed which it isn't in mine, I can add water to the other sponge. Before work and after work i will peek to see what the temp is. Mine stays pretty constant if the room temp is constant.

I use a turner when I am not incubating chicken eggs in my other LG. When I am not using an turnerr I will zip tie the quail rails to a 1/2 inch pvc pipe and turn them manually. If you can find a PC fan and mount it in the LG that helps tremendously. I would keep the top of the eggs at 101 if your using still air.

Quote:
"Mine stays pretty constant if the room temp is constant"

Well said, thats the bottom line. If your room temp is constant you do not need LG or any thermostat controlled bator, stick your eggs in cardboard box with a ligthbulb hooked to dim switch, adjust the temp and voila you are hatching chicks!!!

All the efforts trying to make an working bator out of piece of garbage, thats what LG really is no matter how you cut it, is like trying to make caddy out of ford pinto.

LG is a piece of junk and LG's overall killed more embrios than they ever hatched.

Quote:
And if you read the Brinsea owners manual it says almost the same thing, ROFL. there are folks who can hatch chicks with a LG or a hova and others who do not read directions well LOL but I am probably just the luckiest person alive cause my Hova just keeps cranking out 100% quail hatches, LOL . I am still looking for a LG local so I can try it I must be a glutton for punishment but I am sure once I figger out the lg I will get the same 100% hatches ROFL LOL one of these days I am gonna finish wiring my cabinet and turn that rascal on
hide.gif
go ahead and flame away LOL

B. Kossum :

Geez lol. I've calibrated the little thermometer that came with it and had it plugged in since last night. Been holding at 102 F for like 15-16 hours atleast. I haven't adjusted anything- just plugged it in. I read somewhere that 102 was where I needed to be at for incubating bobwhite in a still air bator. Is that correct? Also, I haven't filled up the water rings yet and the thermometer has been sitting straight on the wire. Should I expect a change when I add water and raise the thermometer? I'm probably gonna get a better thermometer with a humidity reading on it and figure something out for egg trays.

NO THAT IS NOT CORRECT FOR ANY SPECES OF GAMEBIRD AND ESPECIALLY BOB WHITE....

FORCED AIR 99.5 *
STILL AIR 100.5 *

*= MEASURED AT THE TOP OF THE EGGS!​

Quote:
That's what I was looking for, some ways to customize it. The LG has got to be better than the styrofoam ice chest bator I made. Even it hatched a few for me though. I've got a couple of laptops laying around so I'll put a fan in it if those are big enough.

Hi...My name is Joe, and I own an LG incubator!

It's a perfectly good dry hatching chicken egg incubator, but it sucks, for incubating game birds....even with my modifications!

I am currently using 4 LG's and 1 GQF sportsman. I have great success with the LG bators. They do take a lot of patience and diligence to get them right. Humidity is prob. the hardest thing to get right in them though. JJ is right, the temp should be 100.5 for the still air and 99.5 for the forced air. I started my Bobwhite eggs in the LG before I got my high hatch incubator. So to set them upright I used a few cardboard egg cartons and turned them by hand twice a day. I use them now for Bantam eggs, and I have Goose eggs in one. My ringneck pheasant eggs are also in one of them with a turner. There are a lot of negative comments out there about styrofoam incubators, but my motto is it is all in who uses them. They work for some and don't for others. So be patient and experiment with the temp and humidity before you put the bob eggs in it. The temp at the top of the eggs is the most accurate temp. Good luck and don't get discouraged by some of the negative comments.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom