Little Giant 9300 still air with computer fan

cindy parker

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Sylvania Georgia
So after being frustrated with the little giant still air I bought in the spring not holding a steady temp, I decided to bite the bullet and spend another $45 dollars on the circulated air kit that can be bought separately. Well everywhere I tried to order it was either overpriced, or a knock off fan kit. I decided to take the advise of a few people who had installed 12v computer fans in their incubators . One problem....the people at LG got smart and when they changed to the digital system, it left no space on the inside of the top of the incubator to install a computer fan...another way to make people purchase the "fan kit" for it. The fan kit for this incubator is no more than a 2 inch fan like the one my Husband took out of our old computer. We used a 6v adaptor and installed the fan blowing upwards so that it will be evenly distributed through the heating element inside. Any of you who have this incubator know that it doesn't have the same type of heater that most styrobators do. I use this one for my hatcher and I know that some of the eggs I lost last hatch were fully developed. However, they went from a circulated air to a still air at lockdown. I have some marans and welsummers due to hatch Saturday and hope this will help:) I've already got it up, running, and ready for lockdown Wednesday night ! I'm adding pics of the finished product. If you have one and want to convert, it is possible:)
[/IMG]

Brilliant! I have the same bator and the heat is ridiculous. Even set at 97° under the heater is 104°!!! I would love more info on how you did this. What is the blue stuff? How did you mount it? Ekkkk I am so excited to find pictures on this. I had no idea how to mount the fan! Great info thank you so much!

The blue stuff came from a craft store
....they are made for embroidery:) I will ask my husband the details on how he did it when he gets home since he is the one who actually did it:) I know it has made ask or difference:) Air temp measures the same all over the bator:)

Yes!!! Thats what it is. Awesome. Please let me know what he says. I am very interested in duplicating this process. Thank you so much

We used the 2 inch fan from the inside of an old computer. It was not the main fan but the one that was mounted on top of the processor. The screw holes will match up with the 4 screws that hold the heating element together. We actually removed the heater from the top of the incubator while we worked on it...Just remove the two screws on the top outside of bator. When you remove the 4 screws from the bottom of the heater, be very careful...there are 4 little black spacers that have to be put back on...you will need to replace the original screws with #6 2 inch screws if your fan is 1/2 inch thick like mine was. It took two of us to get the spacers and heater back together....tedious job .
We used a small screwdriver thing that had a hook like thing on the end to get those spacers back on and line up all of the notches on the top and bottom of Heater assembly.
Our fan had three wires....red (positive) black (negative) and blue ( we didn't use this one. Just cut it off and tape it. The connector on the fan we used had a connector that wouldn't plug in to the underside of the heater so we cut it off and used a 6 volt DC power supply from something we had laying around the house. We turned the fan so it blows I to the heater and disperse the heat throughout the bator instead of having it blow directly on the eggs. We used the blue mesh to protect chicks from getting in the fan. On most power supply cords the wore that has a white streak down it will be the positive wire and the solid black is the negative. To connect the wires from the power supply to the wires on the fan, just cut off the connector on the end of the power cord and butt spliced them together or you could use wire nuts . Mount the whole assembly back to the styrofoam top. I'm using this incubator as a hatcher...will be going on lockdown tomorrow night! I will let you know how it goes . I hope my directions weren't too confusing! I told my Husband we needed to make a YouTube video as we were going...lol. I searched everywhere for a solution other than paying $50 for a lg "forced air fan " that is no different.

Back
Top Bottom