1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Little Giant Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aart, Nov 18, 2013.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I am using a borrowed Little Giant for my first hatch and at 9 days in the fan seems to be getting noisier the past few days.
    Anything I can do about it, is there a bearing that needs lubricating...or are they just noisy??

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Oiling a fan motor is not difficult as long as the fan is out of the incubator. Oiling them properly generally means dis-assembling the motor. HOWEVER, you can try to oil them (as best you can) . There is normally not much clearance between the motor portion & the bearings & oiling the upper bearing is almost impossible because oil does not run up-hill. I would try to oil the lower bearing without removing the fan from the incubator. I'm assuming that the fan is mounted in the lid, so removing the lid & tilting the lid to one side, I'd try to put a drop of oil on the motor shaft so it runs down into the bearing. I'd only use ONE drop (excess oil can get spread all over the inside of the incubator by the spinning motor, you really don't want that).. While you can use any type of oil, I've found that 3 in 1 Oil works best. It comes in small cans with a pointed tip that makes it easier to get into tight places. In fact if you have a syringe with a small needle, that would be even better. 3in1 Oil is a very light weight oil & tends to get into tight clearance areas better than thicker oils.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by