Little Giant From The Tractor Store???

I prefer Hovabators. I have heard and personally seen too many issues with the Little Giants. Temps don't seem to stabilize as well and humidity is rough to attain...that is my own experience. I've heard the same from others, and then again others swear by them.

I have one going for the first time right now. They were due to hatch today. I have one that started hatching yesterday and I had to help today. Looks deformed a bit. The others haven't hatched at all, although they candled well 3 days ago.

I have no experience with any other incubators but this is what was readily available to us. I'll try another batch and then decide. I don't have any great answers for you other than to say that it certainly didn't take all the difficulty out of it! On the other hand, I haven't had a hard time attaining and keeping the temp. Humidity I suspect may have been a problem but I don't have a gauge for it. Need to get one of those.

Quote:
Yep, sounds like a humidity issue...sorry about your hatch
sad.png

I planned on getting a LG but I have had such good success with hatching out of my home made incubator I am just going to stick with that.

I have a this incubator, and hatched some shipped quail out of it. I lost a LOT to cracks or candling clear, hatched 23 quail and had about 15 that didn't make it....but...I also started this with a homemade incubator with no thermostat, and the temp fluxed a lot those first couple days. Other than that, as long as the outside temp is fairly steady, the temperature doesn't really fluctuate for me.

Using the LG I received 21 porous looking Serama eggs. Five candled clear. Two or three early quitters, and one late....I've got 13 eggs due to hatch Tuesday. I'm not displeased with the LG. I had a Hovabator a really long time ago, and was pleased with that (with reptiles). I guess if it's a still air incubator, a lot depends on the outside temp fluctuations and humidity. If you can't control those two things, it might be worth investing in a more expensive incubator with more bells and whistles.

I bought a forced air one a couple of years ago and just used it as a still air unit.

It has the fan in it but it is not hooked up. I want to hook the fan up now. Of course I don't have any directions and my husband is out of town this weekend.
tongue.png

Does anyone know how to hook the fan up? I don't know which wire goes to what.

Thanks a bunch!

I have seen a used one with the fan and egg turner for $75 but did not buy it (still had broken egg shells stuck on the egg turner. Why the turner was left in the last few days is beyond me) It was filthy and does not have a removable water tray as the Havabator does so I bought the Havabator since the plastic water tray is easier to clean than the styrofoam base of the Little giant.

Back
Top Bottom