Little Giant Hatch Along

so my hatcher is all set up for tomorrow night. The humidity is at 80% is that too high? I am having them hatch in egg cartons, with the bottoms cut off for air circulation. I wasnt going to separate them individually, but figured id better ask you hatching fools who are having such good luck!!! Also, now that your hatch is underway or over, is there anything you wish you did differently during lockdown? I am loving being able to learn through and from you guys. Thanks a lot! keep the pics coming!!!
smile.png

Quote:
You are getting ready for incubation, right?? If so, then I would cut the humidity back to between 40% and 50% and make sure it is calabrated. My hygrometer was off by 8%, but I kept it between 40% and 50% the whole incubation time and then when lockdown came I increased it to 70% and 80% taking into the fact that it was off by 8%.

Theremometer was a different story. When I first got everything set up, the temp was holding steady at 99.5* most of the set up time and then it would flux a bit. In the end just before lockdown my temps were between 99.5* and 102*, so that was okay for my hatch.

I did the cartons, but cut into sections, NEVER AGAIN.
he.gif
I would rather that the eggs be on the wire, they seem to hatch better??
idunno.gif

I guess that is all I have to offer right now from a first timer to a first timer.
wink.png

Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

I don't know about hatching better on the wire. BUT....by the time I put sponges and paper towels under the wire it made the paper cartons stand up too high in the incubator....took them out and laid the eggs down.

Still hatching here.....too much sweetness!

Quote:
Aren't they pretty....mine are not quite fluffed up yet....still waiting on the pipping eggs in the incubator.
Still think I have a long day and night ahead of me.....but all worth it!

Quote:
You are getting ready for incubation, right?? If so, then I would cut the humidity back to between 40% and 50% and make sure it is calabrated. My hygrometer was off by 8%, but I kept it between 40% and 50% the whole incubation time and then when lockdown came I increased it to 70% and 80% taking into the fact that it was off by 8%.

Theremometer was a different story. When I first got everything set up, the temp was holding steady at 99.5* most of the set up time and then it would flux a bit. In the end just before lockdown my temps were between 99.5* and 102*, so that was okay for my hatch.

I did the cartons, but cut into sections, NEVER AGAIN.
he.gif
I would rather that the eggs be on the wire, they seem to hatch better??
idunno.gif

I guess that is all I have to offer right now from a first timer to a first timer.
wink.png

Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

I go into lockdown tomorrow night. so far the humidity in the incubation period has been 25-40%, temps stable at 99.9-100.9 ish, all eggs have definite movement, and good looking air cells. My other incubator is going to be my hatcher because I have a bit of a staggered hatch, a few eggs are a week behind. I got it all set up for lockdown, and my humidity in the hatcher is at 80%! I just dont know if that is too high, Ill do some research, LOVE the pics of your babies!!!
smile.png

Please Please Please, I need help. I created a zip for the little guy as he could not move at all. I am thinking he is to big for his shell. He can breath now but the membrane is stuck to him and also white and thick and some spots. Do I remove the membrane and the chick out of the shell? He seems very weak and I have to at least try and help. My mom said he piped around 3 am so he has been in there awhile. How do I remove the membrane so it does not bleed out?

Last edited:
Quote:
Just moisten it for now. If you still see veins going through the membrane you'll cause damage if you break them. Get the membrane nice and moist all over and give it some more time.

Quote:
No help for ya here just a big
hugs.gif

I have one that hatched early this AM around 4:00 and he still has the shell stuck to his bum, he seems find though. Not sure if he was actually stuck in the egg or what, but he got the rest of his body out, just not his bum.

Back
Top Bottom