Little Giant Hatch Along

I will be receiving my first batch of fertilized eggs on Monday. I am hoping to get a broody mama by then, but if not, into the Little Giant they go.

I've never done this before. Trying to get the temp in the LIttle Giant just right is tricky even before there are eggs in it. I am surprised and happy that I started experimenting with it before they got here.

I'm getting kind of scared!

If I use the bator, I'll be reporting back to you and begging for tips!

UPDATE..Shrinkwrapped little fella in egg #6 is almost out
woot.gif
..I think wrapping him and the egg in a very moist towel worked....this is our last egg out of the clutch of 7 eggs my momma hen sat on while getting killed by a raccoon going on day 14..so excited our LG has been so faithful...
Come on little guy,
bow.gif
come on!!

Does anyone else have trouble with the chicks not drying out? They hatched fine but some of their down wont "fluff up".

WOW!!
celebrate.gif
So much going on, I feel like I have been out of the loop. Trying to keep up with who is hatching, who is still setting eggs, JUST WOW!!!!!
ya.gif

I am trying to read all the threads since my last post so I can catch up and help if needed.

We are totally finished (I think
wink.png
) hatching for the year. Our 10 chicks are doing well, they will be a week old on the 18th, and 19th. Depending on what all of our chicks are (male/female) I might get some more eggs. I wonder how long we will have to wait to find out???
pop.gif
Our Itty Bitty is still itty bitty, he/she is starting to fluff up a bit, still see a lot of skin.

We are having bad weather again, so the coop is still on hold. The lights are starting to flicker (actually went out, but came right back on), so hopefully they will stay on. I have 2 birthday parties to go to today, so I am a bit worried. I don't another way to keep the brooder lamp on if the lights go out and I am not home.
idunno.gif
fl.gif

Okay, I am going to go back to my last post now and play catch up to see who is still hatching.

Good luck to everyone and hope you have fun.

Quote:
Now....STEP AWAY FROM THE INCUBATOR!!!!

Just so you will know not to have really high expectations for an inminent hatch. My pipped one night at 6pm and did nothing by the next moring....then we zipped and hatched finally at 11am. On the other hand another one pipped, and zipped and hatched right in front of me!

So I am saying this: they will get here when they get here.

But it is nothing but amazing and exciting!!!!

Much luck....

i do understand that it will take days for all to be hatched, i was only being a worried first time parent. now the question i have. being that it will take possibly days for all to hatch what do i do? when some are hatched and dried off how do i get them out? i mean there are still others that are in there for lock down, but do i distupt the lockdown stage of the other ones or do i get some out? hope you all follow me

I took mine out through the top windows, doesn't seem to loose that much heat or humidity that way.

Good luck

I took mine out through the top windows, doesn't seem to loose that much heat or humidity that way.

I did too..
smile.png

Does anyone else have trouble with the chicks not drying out? They hatched fine but some of their down wont "fluff up".

Yes, I did as well..so I took them out and put them in the brooder, in an area sectioned off from the other "broodies", fluffed up within 30 minutes..
smile.png
smile.png

My little guy is out, the yolk seems to be all absorbed but the bellybutton are seem rather large so I think he might just had it absorbed, hoping it will close more..he is laying in the bator on a damp warm towel...we named him/her Ginger, as he is golden yellow ..with feathered legs, like his daddy..
smile.png

Quote:
I did too..
smile.png

Yes, I did as well..so I took them out and put them in the brooder, in an area sectioned off from the other "broodies", fluffed up within 30 minutes..
smile.png
smile.png

My little guy is out, the yolk seems to be all absorbed but the bellybutton are seem rather large so I think he might just had it absorbed, hoping it will close more..he is laying in the bator on a damp warm towel...we named him/her Ginger, as he is golden yellow ..with feathered legs, like his daddy..
smile.png

thanks!

Quote:
I did too..
smile.png

smile.png
smile.png

smile.png

ya.gif

Give Ginger some time....all will be well. I had one of the chicks...don't know if it was the last one hatched or the one that took over 24 hrs to finally get out...but it was really small....and foot was gimpy. I decided that by today if I had to I would do the bandage thing. Well, now I can't tell which one he is....that is a good thing. So, maybe just giving him time to work it out was the thing to do. It laid all day yesterday in the little plastic box I have laid on its side in the brooder with a wash rag in it. Every once in a while I would take it out and move it away and it would always end up back in there. Dipped its beak in water a few times.
We now have 37 chicks in the brooder....I went to the farm store to get a new waterer.....they had baby chicks!!!! So, I brought home 5 new EE's since my DGD's blue egg did not hatch. (STEP AWAY FROM THE FARM STORE, NOW!!!) Then we went to the chicken swap this morning and there were COCHIN BABIES.....just what I wanted but would not, could not buy them!!! I ended up with six cochins in my hatch but would have liked to have some different blood in my flock. Will simply have to wait on that! Much luck to everyone still hatching. I still have six eggs in the incubator.....am going to have to make a decision on them this afternoon. No new pips....but I am not up for cracking them open and looking! WHAT do ya'll do?

Back
Top Bottom