Little Giant Hatch Along

Quote:
Love the setup. Its a great idea to use a truck bed liner. I would definately have to have one setup just like it if i had the room.
you keep hatching out chicks and you gonna have to open your own hatchery!!!

Quote:
Love the setup. Its a great idea to use a truck bed liner. I would definately have to have one setup just like it if i had the room.
you keep hatching out chicks and you gonna have to open your own hatchery!!!

Did not mean to have the second hatch be as big as it is....George said 'fill her up'.....so I did! And the truck bed liner was in the woods...talk about horders!! Recycling at it's best...or finest....

As of 5:30 Central Time we have 2 hatched and the other 5 have pipped and a couple are starting to zip. These are EE/ and BR/EE mutts, but they are sure cute even soaking wet. Have a bunch of Turkey eggs that will go in the LG incubator this week. These incubators work great in a room with a constant temp. Had a little problem with the furnace this week and the temp dropped in the bator so these guys are a day late. Better late than never. Here are some pics. some are pipped on the bottom and hard to see in the pics. I'll post more as they hatch.

100_2141.jpg

100_2146.jpg

100_2143.jpg

100_2145.jpg

Another at 10:00pm. Ignore the temp and humidity. Temp is low by 9 degrees and humidity is high by 10 % on that temp/Hygrometer set up. It's actually about 98 degrees and 65% humidity.

100_2151.jpg

100_2152.jpg

100_2157.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question for all the knowledgeable hatchers...
This is my first time. My eggs were shipped from Florida; 15 total. Most didn't even develop. I had two stop developing early between 7-10 days. I have only four left that seem to be text book developing. I just started lockdown last night. My temps have been pretty perfect at 100 degrees. I filled my chambers with paper towels and then soaked them well for lockdown. Within an hour the top clear plastic on the LG was very fogged over to the point with dripping dew. I could not even see the gauges or eggs clearly. I finally lifted one window out and wiped it. The humidity was 75% but temp had dropped to 95 degrees! I very slightly turned the LG up and monitored. Another adjustment and we are back at 100 degrees steady and still 75% humidity. I guess I was not expecting so much dew/fogginess. Is this fogginess common or am I doing something incorrect? I'm not sure how to even if I am not suppose to open it and I cannot see anything!? Any input would be really appreciated!

I will be starting my fourth hatch in my LG forced air with egg turner this week. I have turkey eggs and duck eggs coming from VA to Ohio! I just moved my second hatch of Buckeyes from the brooder to the coop - they are just six weeks old and were real excited to have so much room to run and jump! I moved my third hatch of Buckeyes and NH chicks that are just a week old into the newly vacated big booder box my DH had made for my on my first hatch! He has added sanded down perches for them and they are such happy little babies! I am excited to try the turkey eggs - I have already hatched some of my own Pekin eggs, so I know I can do it! It makes me happy!
big_smile.png

Started with 15 Serama eggs. 13 made it to lock down on day 17.. 2 clear.. Had three eggs pip on Friday night... No progress at all Saturday afternoon. Still the same three pip'd, one piped low so I thought it would be lost already. So took the kids to the beach for a few hours.. Came home and it looked like it was raining in the bator..

80017_april_incubator.jpg

80017_april_incubator_1.jpg

10 came out on there own.. 3 left so I open the bator reached in and pulled the one egg that piped low. It had been longer than 24 hours at the time.. I just cracked the shell, he looked dry so I yanked him out.. lol..

Here are the first 11.. don't laugh at my brooder.. its temporary..
lau.gif
lau.gif

80017_brooder.jpg

Here is the last two waiting to dry.. One came out on its own.. the last one i had a feeling something was wrong, i didn't see a pip or anything.. I pulled the egg out from the bator and checked.. it had piped on the bottom and I couldn't see it. Cracked some shell to find it's inner membrane shrink wraped and dry.. took it to the bathroom and wet the membrane down.. Yanked him out of his shell too.. little tired but hopefully should pull through..
fl.gif

80017_incubator_12_13.jpg

All 13 today.. Just in time for Easter..

80017_easter_serama.jpg

Quote:
What a glorious Easter gift!!! Nothing like new life! I just candled my 13 eggs at 10 days. My first hatch and only had to take one out. Must not have been fertile. Saw movement in 4-5, the others were to dark to see well. Was almost as eggciting as seeing the altra-sound of my grandbabies!!! God is AWESOME!!

Back
Top Bottom