Little Giant Hatch Along

Quote:
Not a knowledgeable hatcher here...but just hatched and have another incubator full.

You are going to have condensation on the windows at 75%. The temp dropping is normal and if it has been running steady don't adjust it....let it come back to temp on its own...it will. Also, they talk about temp hikes as they hatch from their own body heat. I think that would worry me more.

You are doing good....let thing proceed. And read through the threads on incubation....it will keep you busy!!

Quote:
Not a knowledgeable hatcher here...but just hatched and have another incubator full.

You are going to have condensation on the windows at 75%. The temp dropping is normal and if it has been running steady don't adjust it....let it come back to temp on its own...it will. Also, they talk about temp hikes as they hatch from their own body heat. I think that would worry me more.

You are doing good....let thing proceed. And read through the threads on incubation....it will keep you busy!!

Thank you so much for the info! I did find some other good info. I'm new to forums and it just took me a bit to sift through!
I'm on day 20 now, temp 100 degrees and humidity at 55%. No more condensation on the viewers..yeah!! I'm so excited I went upstairs 6 times to peek in the night. I sure hope these little chicks hatch!

My eggs are cheeping and moving finally!!!
bow.gif
wee.gif

Seems like you have things going your way, at this stage the less you open the 'bator the better. If the eggs are just lying on the wire they will rock n roll and hatched chicks will move them about some but things will be fine. For the cost LG's don't usually do too bad a job after you get use to them. Do you have a fan kit and auto turner in yours? Also don't be too discouraged, as you are probably aware shipped eggs are not known for their high hatch rate...

Quote:
I have pp towels on the grate and yes the eggs have rolled a bit. If I cheep to them they cheep back! I haven't opened the bator once. I took the clear cover off once and wiped the dew in the beginning before I go the humidity right. I did install a computer fan but I've been hand turning them three times daily. I started with 15 eggs and so far only four have made it! I have to go to work today:( But it's a couple blocks ago so I will be checking in!
Soooo if they are cheeping that means they have pipped the air sac right? Then the shell is next? How long is too long to approx wait for the shell pip?

Quote:
I am glad you went through and read about incubating and hatching. There is so much information on here to help us once we figure out how to tap into it.

My motto is this: Eggs have been hatching for millions of years without my help.

Even though I wanted to help....after all they were my babies.....I made myself walk away, step back.

The thing is it takes a really long time from pip to popping on out of the shell. Sometimes up to 24 hrs or more. They can do it. It is so easy to get caught up in thinking you need to help. As long as the temp is staying pretty steady and the humidity is staying pretty steady they will find their way out if they are meant to. Be patient and enjoy just another miracle of life.

AND isn't this just so exciting! Post pictures of your fuzzy butts! We live for the pictures.......
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I hope you found the information on calibrating your hygrometer by now. If not do a search and there are several threads on how to do it.

I never was able to get mine to work. I think mine had a problem. This time I went to the pet store and bought one of the hygrometers that go in a reptile environment. It seems pretty right...no way to know for sure. Last hatch (chicks are two weeks old) was done without the hygrometer. Nothing else I could do. I had already spent my entire fortune on thermometers and the hygrometer. Once I upped the humidity with sponges and papertowels and there was a tiny bit of condensation in the windows I felt like I was doing okay. I had a really good hatch. I don't recommend it because it was nerve wracking...but we made it through.

Good luck with your hatch!

well I am seriously doubting I am going to get a good hatch, my temps have been all over the place...even though i am covering the sides of the bator with towels:(

Back
Top Bottom