Little Giant Hatch Along

The early chick popped out last night and I took her out this morning, refilled all the water troughs and re-wetted the sponge. All's quiet. I BETTER get more than one chick out of 40-some, but it's just now day 20 so we're ok!

I just poked holes in the shell where the air sack is in the final three eggs that I kept. One was so smelly so I didn't proceed and the others were just yolk inside. I don't know what I did wrong. The temps and humidity never wavered. At one point all my white eggs had babies inside swimming around. I don't know what I would do differently. Originally the eggs were stored in the refrigerator for two weeks before incubation so I thought none of them would work. When I saw that they had I was hopeful. At around day 14 I transferred them to my son's preschool and candled them twice and couldn't see anything anymore. Any hints as to why there would be life and then none? One thing that I think I did incorrectly was stored them in the carton in the incubator so they were standing upright and we would flip them. Could this be the main problem? One of them made it to the end... we didn't know one was in there so we opened it and it died shortly after. What a sad process... I don't think I will be doing this again either unless I figure out where I went wrong!

How many eggs can the Little giant handle?

I have 10 eggs (reg) to put in it after this current hatch completes.
I am supposed to get 35 bantam eggs this week too.

Can I fit any more in here? How much space between eggs do you need?

I had wanted to get a turner but obviously that wouldnt work with this many eggs.

Thanks

Last edited:
Ugh...had another shrink wrapped mostly zipped baby. Took it out (too late) to see if I could help, but now I'm worried about the other pip I had, did I screw with it's chances by opening up the incubator?

Vicious cycle. I spritzed the eggs and added more water when I opened it, if that helps.

I am fixing to attempt to hatch some bantam eggs in my LG (they will be shipped out in a few days) & I have a question....Will Silkie & OEGB eggs fit in the LG turner? Thanks!

How is everyone's hatching going? I am back due to hatch on the 10th but I have been busy with my goats kidding and all the crazy tornados so I haven't posted much on the hatching and incubation section.

We are down to 66 eggs we candled them yesterday 38 looked good in one incubator and 28 in the other are all bouncing around we have another 2 weeks to go for that one,
It has been a wild end of April for me and beginning of May. With all the Tornado's and worrying about my family in Alabama I have been running on empty.

No sleep , not eating much, for 3 days my sister was missing and I feared the worst the more time went on, but she was found everything in her town gone wiped off the map.
Luckily she panics when storms come near and she had some friends of hers come get her since they was out of power and phone she couldn't contact us.

Its so sad all that has happen to my home town
sad.png

I just hope people can overcome and rise above!

Good luck everyone who is hatching!

Hey everyone!!!!! I HAVE PPPPEEEEEPPPSSS AND PPPPIIIIIPPPPSSS!!! 2 EE'S AND 1 LEGHORN!!!!!!
wee.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
Here's hoping they come out ok by themselves and everything goes well!
fl.gif
Today is day 21 and I hadn't seen any evidence of anything happening, but checked them at 7am and heard peeping and saw pips! My humidity is 70, temps at 100, so things should go as they should, right?
fl.gif
I'll keep everyone posted. I post pics if I can remember how to do that and if my computer co-operates with my camera!!!

Quote:
I just read your post and I'm so sorry that you are going thru so much!! How awful it must have been waiting on news of your sister and family.
sad.png
I'm so thankful for you that she was found!!
clap.gif
Sorry about your hometown, also. How tragic!!! I'm hoping and praying for those in the tornadoes. I firmly believe we are resilient, and WILL rise above! We have an awesome, loving God that will take care and supply our every need. Hoping your hatching goes well too!! It's amazing to me how much new life goes on in the midst of tradgedy. New baby goats, chicks hatching!!! These are the faces of hope!! Go rest and take care of yourself!! We don't want you to get sick on top of everything else!!!!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom