Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I remove my blood rings as I find them and my clears at day 10. Now, I'm going to be nosey and pushy and ask a couple questions because I know what it's like to do that first hatch and it's my mission to help people using styrofoam bators have a good first hatch. Is the thermometer and hygrometer you are using checked for accuracy and what are you using for humidity for the first 17 days???

And welcome to the pages!!!

I pulled the two I thought were bad last night. .. opened them up. .. one had a very small blood spot. .. maybe day 3 or 4.... the other looked like uncooked scrambled eggs... no blood. .. not sure what that means. The other 10 are still cooking. 9 look good so far and 1 is a complete mystery since I cannot see through its shell. It would be super exciting to get 10 of 12 on my first hatch. .. can't wait for next Monday.

Did some candling in the bator last night. Didn't even need to pick any of them up. They went in 4/14. Excellent little spiders in most of them. A few clears. This batch did not have the vitamin supplementation, and I was able to see inside the shells of the green eggs, while I could not do so with the last batch.

I pulled the two I thought were bad last night. .. opened them up. .. one had a very small blood spot. .. maybe day 3 or 4.... the other looked like uncooked scrambled eggs... no blood. .. not sure what that means. The other 10 are still cooking. 9 look good so far and 1 is a complete mystery since I cannot see through its shell. It would be super exciting to get 10 of 12 on my first hatch. .. can't wait for next Monday.

I'd say the second one was just a clear. After this many days, the yolk will start to congeal. Good luck on the rest!

Did some candling in the bator last night. Didn't even need to pick any of them up. They went in 4/14. Excellent little spiders in most of them. A few clears. This batch did not have the vitamin supplementation, and I was able to see inside the shells of the green eggs, while I could not do so with the last batch.

Awesome! I guess you mean a vitamin supplement for the hens? How long do you stop it before it affects the shell density? Just curious...

I was told when I found that with one of my eggs that it was probably due to bacteria. I have never researched to verify that but later on I did have one egg that was close to exploding in my bator:

And when I opened that one up it was the same way, so I can blieve that. All of the rest of my clears that I have removed in my hatches looked loke a normal uncooked egg.
2 hatched, more pipping
wink.png
Yay! Congrats!

I was told when I found that with one of my eggs that it was probably due to bacteria. I have never researched to verify that but later on I did have one egg that was close to exploding in my bator:

And when I opened that one up it was the same way, so I can blieve that. All of the rest of my clears that I have removed in my hatches looked loke a normal uncooked egg.
Yay! Congrats!

Interesting. I had one clear that I removed a little later than the first ones, and it was a little less normal looking, so I just assumed it was due to being in longer. My bad!
big_smile.png

Interesting. I had one clear that I removed a little later than the first ones, and it was a little less normal looking, so I just assumed it was due to being in longer. My bad!
big_smile.png
Like I said, I haven't researched it to know for sure, that was just what I was told and I've only had the two. :) The one that almost exploded was nasty smelling!!!! (Once I opened it. Did smell a thing before.)

I thought I read somewhere that once the eggs reach a certain point they start putting off their own heat and the temps in the incubator may need to be adjusted down to compensate... sound right? If so when should I be watching for this?

I thought I read somewhere that once the eggs reach a certain point they start putting off their own heat and the temps in the incubator may need to be adjusted down to compensate... sound right? If so when should I be watching for this?
In the last 2-3 days I do find that I have to tap it down slightly to keep it at my 99.5ish. Some people drop their temp a degree at hatch time. I do not adjust to drop it that degree, just to keep it at my 99.5.

Back
Top Bottom