Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Now.. with the first 14 days the probe was at the top... Should I expect this hatch to be very delayed?.... like a week? Also... the air cells have been so small going into lockdown.. could that also represent the actual *correct day* that they were on.. and not the chronological day? ... going into lockdown... notoriously small day 14- and each eggtopsy the chick did not pip and had a full yoke.

Michele

I would expect a hatch delayed 3-4 days. Don't start lockdown until the chick shadow fills the space under the air cell. By that time, the air cell should also have grown if you've left it dry, as evaporation will increase. When you do start lockdown, look for hatch 3 days later.

What to do now??? I can't get the heat to go above 100 degree! I Have been bumping it up all day long... and that thing won't budge!! My empty bator LG is sitting there nice and toasty at 102... of course... and this Hovabator with the turner is driving me crazy!

I am still in shock that Moving the probe from the top hole to putting it in the side had that much of an impact on temperature!

Michele
Michele, can you wrap it in a nice thick blanket?

I would expect a hatch delayed 3-4 days. Don't start lockdown until the chick shadow fills the space under the air cell. By that time, the air cell should also have grown if you've left it dry, as evaporation will increase. When you do start lockdown, look for hatch 3 days later.
Sounds good.. I will look for growth rather then the day that they *should be * going into lockdown.

By the looks of the air cell, egg 1 should be hatching. Egg 4 is right along with it. I'd suspect high temps and lock these down if these were not shipped eggs.

But I thought you were running 5-6 degrees COOL so far? How is embryo development? Are they solid dark up to the air cell?

Last edited:
By the looks of the air cell, egg 1 should be hatching. Egg 4 is right along with it. I'd suspect high temps and lock these down if these were not shipped eggs.

But I thought you were running 5-6 degrees COOL so far? How is embryo development? Are they solid dark up to the air cell?
That's what I thought when I saw #1. Looks like it's drawn down ready to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom