Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Again you guys step up and offer more advice. I greatly appreciate it.

While I don't PLAN on hatching a bunch of eggs, I have been throwing around the idea of building a smaller cabinet style. Just reading up for the best way to do so. Thanks again for your time.
I have built my own incubator-- it is more challenging than using the LG. I learned using the LG, then read a number of designs, and then built my own. ANd helped a local youngster build a fish tank incubator. Keeping a steady temp 24/7 is a challenge. Invest in a good system to manage the temperature-- it is more costly initially but gives more consistent results faster. I use a WHT to turn a lightbulb on and off, and at this time it just browns out the bulb for a slow burn which I like better. Getting temp right is a challenge because even with a good fan the air stradifies; and then be sure to track development of the air cell because this can change a lot depending on air flow. THe more air flow , the greater the possible moisture loss ; this depends on ventilation of the incubator , too. I learned a lot making and using my own incubator. I really liked having and incubator and a hatcher.

Here is a page that has several BYC members homemade incubators.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures

This is mine. I put two bulbs in case one would burn out. I haven't had it happen yet. I used a GQF wafer thermostat and a PC fan. Works great. I did put some holes in various places and put tape over the ones I want closed. There is also a couple of holes in the lid for air

Originally I had one bulb with the fan and it worked good.

Good luck and have fun...
jumpy.gif

I finally finished reading this thread and didn't see this question.

Can I load bantam and lf eggs together?

I have BLRW's, PRb's, and blue/black orp bantams. The pullets have started laying but I only have 1 each of the bantams. The orp's eggs are as large as the wyandottes eggs. If layed flat on the wire they would be at similar heights for setting the temp.

I've also heard that bantams hatch sooner than lf, if so that would give me staggered hatch even with the same load date right?

Janet

I have hatched bantams chicks and large fowl chicks in the same incubator with no problem. My avatar is a Serama chick in the feed dish with regular size chicks in the background. The bantams hatched right along with the larger chicks.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this post! I have had awesome hatches & 0 hatches. I turn my eggs by hand, & am fascinated by all mentioned here. I plan to jack up my 2 LG's & thank you all for the advice. A big thanks fir photos, too! I learned to keep the LG in a cool place, ad the temp will spike in the kitchen or another part of the house. Once I relocated it, it holds temp just fine.

I've brooded out big and little together but wasn't sure about hatching them together.
I guess if the bantams do hatch out ealier it would just give them a few days head start.
Temp in still air is running 100/101 at top of egg now but trying to come up with a more even day/night location.

Find YINEPU's page on hatching , she does a lot of non-chicken hatching. From emu's to ducks to everything. I put my dick eggs in with my chikcen eggs and didn't have time for misting so I didn't. I had a low hatch rate but was still excited to see 3 make it.

I suggest you back to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts. LOTS here. THere is an old LG thread also with much information.

Keep the LG in a room with a steady room temp70-75 degrees and pull the shade to the room-no sunlight shining on the LG, effects the temperature. DO NOT use the thermometer that comes with the LG as it needs calibrating. I bought a handful of fish tank thermometers that registered the same temp at Walmart. KNOW where to measure the temperature in relation to the egg. I prefer to measure temp at the height that is 1/2 the height of the egg. THat height is different if the egg is incubated on it's side compared to eggs incubated in an egg carton.

Turn the eggs more than 3 times a day whenever possible.
How the eggs are handled before setting has a big effect on development and hatching %.
Wash hands before turning, and know you will drop one, we all do. lol IT hurts.
When you go into lock down, set up the brooder in case any hatch early.

CMOM-- i'm sure you can add to this.
what's a dick egg?? .sounds painful for the bearer....

I finally finished reading this thread and didn't see this question.

Can I load bantam and lf eggs together?

I have BLRW's, PRb's, and blue/black orp bantams. The pullets have started laying but I only have 1 each of the bantams. The orp's eggs are as large as the wyandottes eggs. If layed flat on the wire they would be at similar heights for setting the temp.

I've also heard that bantams hatch sooner than lf, if so that would give me staggered hatch even with the same load date right?

Janet
I hatch turkey, duck and chicken together. My hatches do better if I don't leave the hatchlings in much longer than to fluff up, then off to a brooder. I'm in and out of my hatcher a lot.

Thank you so much for this post! I have had awesome hatches & 0 hatches. I turn my eggs by hand, & am fascinated by all mentioned here. I plan to jack up my 2 LG's & thank you all for the advice. A big thanks fir photos, too! I learned to keep the LG in a cool place, ad the temp will spike in the kitchen or another part of the house. Once I relocated it, it holds temp just fine.
THat is key to the LG-- steady room temp 24/7

Back
Top Bottom