Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I just recently fired my LG's up for a test hatch with my new Heritage RIR girls. About half hatched. Several eggs were not fertile.

I hatched some for a friend too and he came and got his so I have 4 left 2 from 2 different hatches. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

I had quite a few eggs that turned out to be not fertile. I think it is because for the past couple of months many of the birds have been molting so maybe their bodies are more into making new feathers than fertilization.

I tried to incubate some eggs last year... It did not not turn out well. I'm not sure what I did wrong but all of the eggs had baby chicks in them but did not hatch... I gave them like 24 days and i checked em and they were dead. I have a little giant incubator also.
hit.gif
I also tried to make my own but I am not exactly sure what i need need because I cant keep my temperature right and plus I tried to hook a hot water heater thermostat to it to control the temperature and evidently I didnt have it hooked up right and it flipped my breaker, oops haha. I need help

For construction information you will need to start a new thread asking for help building. Usually if you have tripped the breaker, you just need to rearrange the wires. THere are often a few builders lurking who can help with construction.

What was your temp everyday of the incubation? ANy spikes or drops?

Did you OPEN the vents during the last days of the incubation period? by day 18 . . . THe increase in air flow is very important as developing chicks each need more oxygen and air exchange as they reach hatching day; and need the most air when they hatch.

Other issues could be at play, but I would look at incubating conditions first.

I agree, and also think that the wiring must have been reversed. If you are using a light bulb the hot water thermostat must be at no further then 2 inches with the metal side facing the bulb. An inch away would be better.There is a thread I believe under the Inbubating and Hatching Eggs about home made incubators and how to wire hot water thermostats.

Last edited:
I am wantign to hatch pekn eggs. I have never hatched ducks before. I have styrofoam hovabator. What is the best way to get right humidity in it? its still air. If I feel up the tray in the bottom will it produce enough? or do I need to put a sponge or something as well in there?

Back
Top Bottom