Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
Quote: Learned something new-- covering the windows with towels to up the temps. Yeah.

Was it hard to replace with the LG fan?? Where does it fit-- in the usuall spot beside the electronics in the lid??

It was pretty simple to replace. It fits in the usual spot next to the thermostat. I think the temperature is more stable. I don't notice as much fluctuation, but I don't really incubate in them. I mostly use them as hatchers.

The intention is to place a fan so I want to get it dialed in for the temp in which it should be with the fan. Its still a series of tinkering here and there but its all in the name of learning so I am excited!
MInute changes can make a big dif intemps-- so definitely do a trial run as CMOM mentioned. I changed the racks on yr in mine and oops what a difference. Back to the old way. I'lve had the fan die and rush to buy another one. Consider keeping back ups available for light bulbs and fans. ( My set up used the fan to help control the temps.)

I learned a great deal when I made my own-- and more closely tracked the performance of the set up. Good luck!!!

I am seeing the minute changes making such a difference! I think I am going to be changing the thermostat out for a digital one....its being finicky now. I adjusted it to cut off about 102 and on at 99 but since then it seems to be all over the place... Backups and tests runs are a definite just need to get the temp and thermostat regulated first!

The intention is to place a fan so I want to get it dialed in for the temp in which it should be with the fan. Its still a series of tinkering here and there but its all in the name of learning so I am excited!

I put my fan so it would blow across the light bulbs and the temperature is pretty consistent throughout. Keep us posted on how your hatch goes. It will be very eggciting.

Digital is easier--WHT is challenging , but can bedone with patience. I don't use the setting per se, rather set it to what works. My model might be different than yours , too.

I am seeing the minute changes making such a difference! I think I am going to be changing the thermostat out for a digital one....its being finicky now. I adjusted it to cut off about 102 and on at 99 but since then it seems to be all over the place... Backups and tests runs are a definite just need to get the temp and thermostat regulated first!

That temperature range is ok because it fluctuates. If it stayed for a long time on 102 I would be worried but since the thermostat shuts down at that temperature not as much as a concern. My wafer thermostat fluctuates about 99 to 102. I still have very good hatch rates. Digital thermostats are a bit more expensive. I bought an electronic thermostat for my cabinet incubator and it only fluctuates about a half of a degree. My Hova-Bators fluctuate around 98 to 101. One thing to remember if a broody hatches eggs she will get off the nest every day to eat, drink and poop and can be off for as long as a half an hour. Also, she is up now and then turning the eggs and still can have 100% hatch. I have had it happen with some of mine. Not always but many times. Sometimes an egg or two may not hatch for whatever reason but that is nature. It isn't rocket science but you do have to pay attention to details. Again, good luck and have fun and don't forget to give us progress reports...
yesss.gif

I know the temp fluctuation is normal.....I think the problem is the type of thermometer that I have. I can't get the 2 thermometers that I have the say the same temp in the coolerbator. I'm thinking that the thermostat is functioning as it should, but I don't think the thermometer is reading accurately. Where should I place the thermometer in the cooler for testing purposes? I know that when the eggs are in, that I will have a thermometer right with the eggs, one on the bottom and probably a basic one screwed to the back, I am just not quite sure where to place while testing as I don't have the "basket" that will hold the eggs in yet.

Here are a few new pictures from today:

The PVC rectangle will have hardware cloth under it to hold the egg carton and has handles that go to the outside so that it may be turned without opening the lid. The square on the corner of it with the white dot is actually where the thermometer is, I just couldn't get a great picture of it. It is only there for testing. I wish I had the hardware cloth in now, as I would place the thermometer there.

The frustration from this thermostat is ridiculous. At first it was cutting on at 98° but now it has dipped down to 95° before it cuts on and is cutting off between 99-100°. Like I said though, I am not sure if it is the thermostat or if it really is just the thermometer.

Do you have a candy thermometer?
This is how I 'calibrated' my thermometers"

The thing you want to do is check that any of thermometers and hygrometers are correct by testing them against a known criteria.
Comparing devices is useless unless you know how accurate any of them are.

I used a candy thermometer tested in boiling water and noted how far off 212 degrees it was...or whatever temp water boils at your altitude.
You can check your boiling temp at altitude here.
Then put the candy thermometer and 3 others in the incubator during the test run and compared them all, noting any differences.

I made a chart noting all temps and made notes about if this one reads this temp it is actually that temp.

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a sealed plastic bag.
After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%...again note and differences and you're set.

Whenever you purchased a new thermometer and about to use it for the first time, you need to calibrate it. Thermometers will also need to be calibrated whenever they are dropped or when going from one temperature extreme to another. Thermometers are a critical measuring equipments for temperature to ensure good hatch rates.
There are two methods that you could use to calibrate thermometers -

Ice Point Method - Fill a container with crushed ice and water. Ensure that the container have enough crushed ice to provide an environment of 32 degrees F, so you may need to add more ice into the container during the process. It will takes about 4 to 5 minutes for the mixture of water to stabilized. Then insert the thermometer which needs to be calibrated into the appropriate immersion depth. Hold the thermometer away from the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 32 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.

Boiling Point Method - Fill a container with distilled water and heat it up. After the temperature in the water has reached the boiling point, insert the thermometer . Be sure to leave at least a two inch gap between the thermometer sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 212 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.

There are some thermometers that are not meant to be put in water and water may damage them. This is what I do for these types of thermometers. I fill a glass with crushed ice (NO WATER) and put the thermometer probe around halfway down into the ice and cover with a washcloth. I let the thermometer set in the ice for about 15 minutes. At that time it should read around 32ºF.

I would put a piece of wire across the PVC and put the thermometer there at the level the eggs will be at. The temperature will vary in different places.

I know the temp fluctuation is normal.....I think the problem is the type of thermometer that I have. I can't get the 2 thermometers that I have the say the same temp in the coolerbator. I'm thinking that the thermostat is functioning as it should, but I don't think the thermometer is reading accurately. Where should I place the thermometer in the cooler for testing purposes? I know that when the eggs are in, that I will have a thermometer right with the eggs, one on the bottom and probably a basic one screwed to the back, I am just not quite sure where to place while testing as I don't have the "basket" that will hold the eggs in yet. Here are a few new pictures from today: The PVC rectangle will have hardware cloth under it to hold the egg carton and has handles that go to the outside so that it may be turned without opening the lid. The square on the corner of it with the white dot is actually where the thermometer is, I just couldn't get a great picture of it. It is only there for testing. I wish I had the hardware cloth in now, as I would place the thermometer there. The frustration from this thermostat is ridiculous. At first it was cutting on at 98° but now it has dipped down to 95° before it cuts on and is cutting off between 99-100°. Like I said though, I am not sure if it is the thermostat or if it really is just the thermometer.
The problem isn't your thermometer causing your tem swings. A thermometer only tells you what the temp is. Even if its off by 5°, it doesn't control how hot / cool it is inside your bator. The problem is your using something to control a +/- 1° ( 2° swing) environment that's NOT Designed to hold that tight of tolerance. At best a water heater thermostat has a tolerance of +/- 5°. What you might want to do is by something like this ( http://incubatorwarehouse.com/review/product/list/id/252/category/61/) I'm sure you'll have a lot better success hold the temp you'll need, thus improving your hatch rate

Back
Top Bottom