Little Giant Incubator Tricks

I just bought the new design of this incubator. I guess it's fairly new this year. Has anyone done a hatch with it yet? Any tips?
I needed another little giant and bought the new model last spring/summer (when TSC had their little giants for $34.99 and had Big R price match since they had the new design) and hated it! Well loved the design, but had horrible hatch rates with it. I resold it and bought the old design and back to my normal hatch rates. No explanation as to what caused the decreased hatch rate but didn't have and still don't an issue with the old design.

Hard to say if your bad hatch rate was 'the new design' or something completely unrelated.
When I'm already running 2 other little giants with no issues, but several hatches with the new design are crap. I'm not the only one who experienced the same outcome.

I hope the people who do use the LG new design will post progress reports. Many people over the years have thought that the LG's were crap and bought other makes and models. I think the key is getting used to it. I had the same problem when I first got my LG's and Hova-Bators until I used them a few times and started getting better and better hatches each time I incubated and hatched in them. It's learning the little tricks to make the hatch successful.

Wonder if they changed any of the components along with the obvious housing changes?
They looked the same to me as well. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I have heard the same from atleast 2 other people. I'd love to try it again as I was a big fan of the new units.

I have an LG with a fan. Here are some of my LG tricks, to bring the humidity up at lockdown I put some paper towel under the wire and make sure the reservoirs are filled with water. The paper towel may get wet but that is ok. I also add a half pint mason jar with warm water and a sponge in it. The sponge acts like a wick. Also since you are using a LG incubator the small holes line up perfectly so you can squirt water into the holes and the water will go into the jars to fill them and don't have to open the incubator up. The temp will change and that is ok too don't adjust it just let it settle out. Sometimes I may need to put two jars in the hatcher. I keep the humidity around 35% during incubation and bring it up to around 75% during lockdown. The plugs are out during lockdown. The eggs need the added airflow. If the humidity goes down during lockdown I put a straw in a hole and squirt a little warm water on the paper towel. the moisture will spread out some but that is ok. I did put a milk bottle cap on the thermostat control which works great. Since I have been doing my hatching like this my hatch rate has went up and I have had 100% hatches which i never thought before was possible. Good luck... /img/smilies/thumbsup.gif /img/smilies/jumpy.gif /img/smilies/love.gif
Pictureb101.jpg
IMG_3409.jpg
IMG_3429.jpg
Holy Jesus

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom